New to the forum, with a couple electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum, with a couple electrical problems

Hey guys, I just found the forum. I've learned lots of great stuff so far! I just bought a 1983 GS750ES, and I'm loving it so far. It's in pretty good shape, but I'm having a few small problems.

1. When I turn the key to the on position, it shows the kickstand light whether it is up or down. When I start the bike though, the light doesn't come on when it is down, and I don't see any sensor near it.

2. Sometimes I hit the starter and it goes no problem, however more often then not, nothing happens. Neutral, kickstand up, clutch in, key on, kill switch to run, and just nothing. No click or anything. I have to switch between first, second, and neutral and keep trying before it will start. I've check around on the forum but I don't really know where to start!

3. Lastly, the headlight flickers between what I think is normal, and a somewhat dimmer lighting. It stays most of the time being dimmer.

I know this is a lot for the first post! Thanks for any help!

1. There is a switch on the kickstand to drive that light. Sounds like you have some dirty/shorted etc contacts. It's just a light thought, doesn't do anything to the engine etc, just triggers the light on the dash (i.e. not related to your starting issue).
    2. Quite possibly the clutch safety switch. Trace the wires back under the tank & find where they enter the harness, unplug the 2 bullet points & connect the ones in the harness together. This will take the safety out of the system. You can then decide to leave it disabled or repair the switch. This is very common.
    3. The Regulators are weak on that model. They are tiny. You need to read the stator papers, do all the tests & make sure your stator is working properly, RR is working properly & you have enough grounds installed & that they are clean etc. Also check your battery. If it's an old one struggling to hold charge (or has been overcharging - common with the RR on your bike) it might be out of water & also close to dead...

Good luck with it
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks for the quick reply! I will check all that stuff and let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
      X