Horn doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn doesn't work

Been riding without one, against better judgment. I put a new relay in recently to make sure that wasn't the problem, tests show that the wiring is sound, (new louder horns about 3 yrs ago) so I suspect the problem is in the switch button itself. In your experience, is it best to open and clean or just replace the dang thing?

Have you tried working some penetrating oil in the button yet?

Eric

Comment

Before you do that, have you tested the horn itself yet?
      Here is how to do it:
      1 of the spade connectors should have 12V when the key is ON. If not, trace through your relay.
      If 12V is present, connect that to the horn and run a spade connector from the other side to a ground point. Horn should sound. If not, horn is faulty.

Comment

Taking the switch apart to clean out all of the spiderwebs and corrosion is a good idea whether it needs it or not. If you work inside of a plastic bag you won't loose any tiny springs and contacts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Taking the switch apart to clean out all of the spiderwebs and corrosion is a good idea whether it needs it or not. If you work inside of a plastic bag you won't loose any tiny springs and contacts.
          While I agree in principle, I am of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset. Having said that, it's not my bike or my decision.

Comment

Amen

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            While I agree in principle, I am of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset. Having said that, it's not my bike or my decision.
            Me, too!
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Interesting

I'm of the mindset, "If it ain't broke, your not trying hard enough."

Comment

Right!

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                Interesting

I'm of the mindset, "If it ain't broke, your not trying hard enough."
                That was the reason for my comment. I'm usually able to find enough trouble without going out looking for it.
                1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I prefer to make sure nothing ever even thinks about breaking down on the road. So far I have 100% reliability at this.
                  Pretty good for having owned over 50 old beat to crap bikes.

The headlight and turn signal wiring and switching are in there too, clean and inspect them all. The other side too while you're at it. The kill switch and starter switch can certainly cause problems.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great suggestions, thanks, going to spray first ask questions later.

Comment

You would be amazed at what a few decent taps with a hammer on the backs of them will do..Ive had lost of guys say my horns are broke. I say really? then etch the adjuster and what do you know....they were just stuck.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you have to take the left handle switch apart you shouldn't have too big of an issue. I did very slowly and nothing came popping out - maybe I was lucky?

But honestly, it might be a good idea anyway as it does get pretty dirty in there. My turn signal got harder and harder to engage last year, cleaned it up nice and pretty.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

First thing I'd do is measure voltage at the horns when the button is pressed. Could be the switch is fine, although maintenance is good, and the horn is on the fritz. In my experience, the horns tend to fill up with dirt and such and don't work after a while, or at least sound weak. There is an adjustment screw on the horn to adjust the tone so that's another thing to play with also...assuming the voltage is there.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                          X