Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting the Battery in...

....the starter housing.

I know, what the heck is this guy thinking. Hear me out, and it might make sense.

I am working on a '79 GS750L that is being changed to anything but an L. It has a kick start, which I will be using 100% of the time, so a large battery with lots of CCA is, IMO, not needed.

I am trying to hide as much of the electrical system, and the battery is one of the hardest pieces to hide. In build v1.0 I put an AGM battery on the swing arm, which worked, and was fairly hard to see.

However, more stuff will be cut off the bike which will in turn make some stuff more visible including the swing arm.

Which leads me to my "brilliant" plan.
    1. Remove the starter. With a kick start bike there is no need for it. (Yes, I know, starters were put on for a reason, etc etc etc)
    2. With the starter removed I now have a small spot I can maybe place a battery.
    3. Place battery in, and Im done.

Now, I have found some small batteries and I really dont know what I need to be looking at.

Example:

Sized: 2'' x 2'' x 3-1/4''

I will pull the starter tomorrow, to actually figure out what size Im looking for, but the above battery has a temp rating. 0*-140* F. In a normal application that would be fine, but a starter location which is on the air cooled engine....?

I can drill some holes in the cover to let heat out, but I am a little concerned that the continual heat that the engine generates will ultimately kill the battery.

Anyone have any thoughts, concerns, constructive criticism?

Besides trying to insulate the battery from the heat and shock, you will have to seal the opening that is left into the crankcase by the missing starter.

Eric

Comment

I think a capacitor would handle the heat in there a lot better than a battery. You could also have ram air going in and out of the compartment to cool it a little bit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tkents Ram air idea could end up looking pretty cool. You could sculpt a fin to bring in air from the side and then have another vent out the back of the case. I can see that being a very cool addition.

Comment

your just looking for problems if you put the battery in the starter cavity

Comment

Just a guess... but way too much heat to deal with... and if there is an "issue"... doesn't aluminum react rather poorly with acid... like creating giant plumes of hydrogen gas and disolving into nothing. Check with a chemistry guru to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I think a capacitor would handle the heat in there a lot better than a battery. You could also have ram air going in and out of the compartment to cool it a little bit.
              I will have to look into a capacitor, I thought I read on the resource that a cap was a bad idea.

I could "louver" the starter cover and possibly duct some air into the starter housing.

Found some links as well, will continue the search later tonight.

Love this quote, guilty as charged:
              Originally posted by Nessism
              Spring is in the air and all the newbie modders are blooming...

Comment

Work and life, as usual, are getting in the way. Add in the heat, and working on a motorcycle is out of the schedule.

Did a quick drawing of what Im going to be doing.

This is what the end of the starter looks like. Pretty simple, just like most other starters out there.

I am going to be removing the starter entirely, and making a plug out of aluminum. Some silicone, or JB Weld will hold it in place.

Plug will be hollowed out for added bling and lightness.

Hope to have some time to get on the lathe Friday afternoon, but we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexAlex
                  Regarding information on the battery I can advise a cool site with a bunch of articles, for example, I liked the best 2 into 1 exhaust for harley touring.
                  Bad bot! Bot get no banana!
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X