Dyna S ignition issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S ignition issues?

I own a 1979 GS750LN and I have installed the Dynatek replacement ignition system, Dyna coils, Dyna wires and replaced the resistor plug caps.

I am having an issue where I lose spark to the same set of plugs. It will usually run fine for a little while when I first start it up, but somewhere between 5-15 minutes of riding and it drops 2 cylinders. I have verified this with a timing light, 2 of the plugs (on the same coil) are not getting spark. I am beginning to think there might be an issue with one of the pickups on the Dyna S ignition system. Any suggestions?

Are you aware of the testing procedure for the ignitor/coils?

Do you have a shop manual?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I do have the FSM for this bike, as well as a Clymer guide. I just replaced the coils and it is exhibiting the exact same behavior as when I had only replaced the points with the Dyna S ignition.

Comment

So, to back up a bit to understand the background:

when you were running points and the old coils, you would lose spark on cylinders 2/3 (or 1/4?) after 15 minutes of running?

Then, you replaced the points with a Dyna S ignition and Dyna Coils (5 ohm?), and you still get no spark on cylinders 2/3 (or 1/4)?

Did the Dyna S come with an ignitor box as well as the pickups?
        Last edited by BigD_83; 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

I cannot remember what the bike was doing before I replaced the points with the Dynatek DS3-2 Electronic Ignition (essentially replaces the points with Hall-effect sensors).

After replacing the points, I was experiencing this behavior of losing two cylinders, so I replaced the ignition coils, plug wires and plug resistor caps. I used the Dynatek DC1-1 coils (3 ohms, as recommended by Dynatek tech support). None of this fixed my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Did the Dyna S come with an ignitor box as well as the pickups?
            No, just the pickups.

Comment

you should make sure that you have at least 11.5V to the coils. If not them you should probably also do a coil relay mod. Power the entire ignition circuit (coils, dyna) from the relay.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

I might have to bow out of this thread and watch for some responses from people with more experience in this area, but the ignitor box could be an issue.
                '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  you should make sure that you have at least 11.5V to the coils. If not them you should probably also do a coil relay mod. Power the entire ignition circuit (coils, dyna) from the relay.
                  I am getting close to a 2V drop at the coils. I am considering doing the relay mod anyways, but wouldn't that affect both coils? Why am I only losing one coil?

Comment

Was the ignition bought new?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by rustynissan View Post
                      I am getting close to a 2V drop at the coils. I am considering doing the relay mod anyways, but wouldn't that affect both coils? Why am I only losing one coil?
                      It is also dropping the voltage to the Dyna.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Was the ignition bought new?
                        Yes, I bought the DS3-2 brand new.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          It is also dropping the voltage to the Dyna.
                          I am still confused why only one set of plugs (2&3, I think) is dropping out. I might try temporarily running a wire directly from the coils to the battery as a way to test this out.

Comment

Originally posted by rustynissan View Post
                            I am still confused why only one set of plugs (2&3, I think) is dropping out. I might try temporarily running a wire directly from the coils to the battery as a way to test this out.
                            If that yields no answers, swap the coils around to see if the problem follows
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

If it is still the same pickup after the swap call Dynatek 800-928-3962.. I have one that does the same thing.. One pickup fails when it gets hot..

If its under warranty they will replace it.. If not they will swap it out for $80
                              Someday I'll get around to sending it in for replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X