Double check please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double check please.

Hi. Can someone confirm or deny my findings. Starter won't turn. I hooked it up to straight power and it would & wouldn't go - won't go installed. Did a continuity check from pos. post to starter. depending on were it was turned went from .08 to total resistence. sounds like burnt brushes arced armeture or? but not good. Does this sound correct? I checked cont. on the relay across the post's. Hit the start button & it goes to zero. Then checked v. at the end of the cable to the starter grounded to the frame & straight to neg. on the batt. Hit start button and it reads 12 vdc. looks like the relay is ok. ? I conclude the starter needs work or replacement what do you think? Thanks.

Sounds dead

Open it up and see- be careful with the long bolts - impact driver and penetrating oil helps
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolgs1100e View Post
      I hooked it up to straight power and it would & wouldn't go - won't go installed.
      Your riding season is elapsing, and ebay is your friend in this case. Replace the starter.

Try Ron Ayers to check for which bikes came with the same starter as yours, or perhaps someone else here might have a better cross reference link.

Keep the old one if you want to play with it & construct a working spare, but get out there & get your season's worth, while you can.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I just took it apart. The pos. brush is way worn and there are signs of arcing. I will try to find brushes and clean things up, but in the mean time any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolgs1100e View Post
          I just took it apart. The pos. brush is way worn and there are signs of arcing. I will try to find brushes and clean things up, but in the mean time any ideas would be appreciated.
          If you are looking for a brush kit, First thing you will ned to know is if you have a 4 brush starter or a two brush starter. And you have it apart so you should know that.

I have had good results with Stockers.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Brush Holder - DensoType:NewReplacesensoStockers #:ND-LRetail Price: $37.45Your Price: $24.95

Brush Holder - MitsubaType:NewReplaces:MitsubaStockers #:SM-8Retail Price: $37.45Your Price: $24.95

Incudes some pictures of the commutator.
            This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Last edited by Redman; 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Perfect Redman. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X