Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge

1983 GS750E

Well I don't think my gauge is working. But before I know for sure, I want to make sure I am testing it correctly.

From reading I am under the impression that I need to disconnect the wires that go to the tank, and then short the wires on the harness, and this should make the needle on the gauge show FULL

is this correct ?

I also tried testing the sending unit, and a meter, to show me Ohms, but I see no change on the meter as I move the float arm, up or down

so not only do I have possibly a bad gauge, maybe a bad sender as well

can anyone confirm that I am doing the tests correctly...

Thanks

this makes me worry that the Oil Temp gauge might not be working either, but this is speculation only for now
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2012, 01:09 AM.

The sending unit might be repairable, easy enough to check it.

Remove it from the tank, you will see a sheet metal cover at the hinge. Remove the cover, inspect the hinge area, you should see a coil of wire and a "wiper" that travels on the edge of the coil. That wiper can lose tension, so bend it a bit or shim beside it to keep it in place and maintain proper tension to the coil. Put the sheet metal cover back on after checking the resistance at the leads. Put the sender back in the tank, fill the tank, ride the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve....

I have still to check it (sending unit) but the gauge in the instrument cluster is my concern at the moment, wanted to verify on how to check it.

is it as simple as shorting the wires under the tank, in the harness, going to the gauge ? I think this is what the manual is saying to do, but wanted to be 100% sure.

the gauge is sitting at empty, even if I hookup the sending unit and move it up down the gauge does not move, now yes I still might have a bad sender not doing it's job as well.

Cheers

Comment

If it's like mine...... remove wires from tank sending unit. with ignition on, connect those wires together (jumper wire), gauge should move to full.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, that is what I wanted to make sure was the correct thing to do...

Will do it latter today

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X