Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyna S Modules - The same across the range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S Modules - The same across the range?

Guys, My Dynatek DS3-3C has one shagged module and I really can't afford to have to buy a whole new kit including coils etc. as it makes it really expensive before pay day...

I'm hoping the local distributor here has some good news for me that I can just buy the Dyna S part, but if I can't, does anyone know if I can buy a DS3-2, unscrew the modules, and screw them onto my existing plate?

I figure if the actual modules are the same, then I can just use my existing hardware and coils and it should be half the price of another DS3-3C kit...

I'm posting this now because I'm desperate to get this sorted in time for the GSR run on Saturday and I have no budget, so the cheaper the better right now

RRP for the DS3-3C is listed at $405.18 and the DS3-2 at $212.65... quite a difference!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

If no one here has a quick answer then call Dynatek or shoot them an email. I had a question for them and they answered it right away when I called.
    800-928-3962. Ask your question. See if they can send you a replacement sensor/pick-up/module for your malfunctioning one cheap.

Also, the price for the DS3-2 seems really high. I paid $130 for mine.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
      If no one here has a quick answer then call Dynatek or shoot them an email. I had a question for them and they answered it right away when I called.
      800-928-3962. Ask your question. See if they can send you a replacement sensor/pick-up/module for your malfunctioning one cheap.

Also, the price for the DS3-2 seems really high. I paid $130 for mine.
      You have to factor in location, a big mac in japan is ¥320 but it's not actually expensive as it looks - it's actually priced on par with a typical US mcdonald's

Comment

I agree with Missile there Pete. Maybe Dynatek might even be willing to send you out a replacement - I know that doesn't help for Saturday but it will save you the money.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Killer, that's true about different locations. I thought the Australian dollar was right on par with ours though, kind of like their government is similar to ours too.
          Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong currency.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Killer, that's true about different locations. I thought the Australian dollar was right on par with ours though, kind of like their government is similar to ours too.
            Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong currency.
            Right now, the currency is virtually even. One AUDollar will get you 99.06 US cents, so it's less than 1% different.

However, the cost of getting things there really adds to the price. From what I have seen posted by Pete, Simon and some others, a bike that we might pay about $1500 for here, would go for well over $5000 down there. And that's for the old stuff that has been there. No idea about the new stuff that is currently available.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK. Didn't know it was that much different. Whoa. Holy cow.
              I hope they make much higher wages there to compensate. Yes? No?
              Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

I hope they make much higher wages there to compensate. Yes? No?
                maybe thats a no?

basically for imported Items, were held to ransom and raped by our traditional retail model, which is something like,

Importer-> Distributer-> Retailer

And every one makes at least 40% markup on the way, and dont forget the Gov with a couple of layers of TAX!

However thats kinda collapsing these days as internet and travel opens aussie eyes to the real value of things, and we demand better pricing.

Pete, hope your bike turns out this weekend, if it fails, maybe you can ride monkey?
                Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by john82q View Post
                  maybe thats a no?

basically for imported Items, were held to ransom and raped by our traditional retail model, which is something like,

Importer-> Distributer-> Retailer

And every one makes at least 40% markup on the way, and dont forget the Gov with a couple of layers of TAX!

However thats kinda collapsing these days as internet and travel opens aussie eyes to the real value of things, and we demand better pricing.

Pete, hope your bike turns out this weekend, if it fails, maybe you can ride monkey?

maybe it's not you pay too much, maybe it's others pay too little

I'm sure everyone has heard a story of two about how japan sold cars in foreign nations for LESS than it cost to make. An unsupportable business model at best.

Comment

Thanks for all the input and tips guys!

Apologies for the slow reply but I spent last night replacing the Dyna S modules so it looks like I have spark again

I got to work yesterday and figured it was still business hours in Las Vegas so I sent Dyna an email and in typical fashion they replied within about 15 minutes that all the DS3 models are electrically combatible.

The distributor here is wholesale only, so also excellent credit to the local dealer near work (Brisbane Motorcycles) who ordered a DS3-1 for me and it was there in the shop by 1:30 so I could pick it up on the way home.

Fitted it last night and as much as I could test with a brief 30 second run shows spark on both sides

As for pricing, yeah, there's middle men who bump the prices up. The distributor here buys it from either Dynatek or an importer (not sure which) and then sells to the bike shops, so there's at least a couple of price inflation steps there.

John, need to check timing this morning but it looks like I should be good to go for Saturday! Monkey doesn't suit me so well... acting like a monkey does though... hahahhahaa

sigpic

Comment

Glad to see it worked out in time for your ride Saturday!!
                      Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Glad to see it worked out in time for your ride Saturday!!
                        Indeed! Very glad about that

I checked the timing this morning and discovered I'd used the "T" mark instead of the "F" mark (oooops)

I sorted that out and full advance was all good and I tell ya... riding to work was like riding a whole different bike. It had developed a little hesitation at times previously and that's all gone now, so that Dyna module definitely had some issues, very glad it's sorted!

Roll on Saturday!!!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X