New (to me) GS 1100 Ignition issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) GS 1100 Ignition issues

So this is my first post. I just bought my first GS.. actually my first bike. Its a beautiful 1982 GS 1100E.

Started up great when I went to go look at it. The guy who sold it to me had 5 of them. Two red ones in mint condition with black motors, seemed to really know his GS stuff.

Anyway when I got her home I went to start her and nothing happened. No click, no turning over.. nothing. I pushed the bike with my buddy on it and popped started it and she seemed to run fine.

I went through the wiring diagram provided on BikeCliffs website and started testing wires. The Green/Yellow at the relay had nothing, the green/yellow at the clutch switch had nothing. I cleaned up the kill switch and starter button and tested those wires (with the switch off the handle bars, I dont know if this affects the ground) and had no power at the orange/white.

Anyway, tonight I was messing with it for awhile cleaning connections and such, and finally she started up. Now to the question part.

When the bike was running a few of the dash lights were on and they were fading and them coming back strong.. looks to me like a connection..somewhere. Possibly the ignition switch is causing the lack of start and the lights on when running?? It still isnt starting all the time either. I have to mess with it a bit.

I could use some insight on this and testing procedures. Great website by the way.
    Thanks
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Hello Caseyuconn and welcome to the GSR. Nice bike.

I recommend that you introduce yourself in the GS Owners section and embed some pictures to satisfy the need of the members here. That way everyone can say hello as well.

The first thing that comes to mind with your electrical problem is low battery voltage, maybe a weak battery or charging problems. You may be right on the fine line between starting and nothing. The next are loose/corroded connections at battery, starter relay, or fuse box.
    What are your voltages across the battery? (key off, key on, idle, 5-6k rpm)

Clean all your connections that affect the operation of the bike including grounds. Have you read the Stator Papers? On the homepage, they're under In The Garage. I think almost all of us have had to, at minimum, replace a couple of bad charging connections. Good luck in finding the problem.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by Caseyuconn View Post

I just bought my first GS.. actually my first bike. Its a beautiful 1982 GS 1100E.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how to ride or are you going to use that beautiful rocket as your beginner bike?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Your FIRST bike ever?
        Have you at least taken a MSF riding course?

Eric

Comment

An MSF course does little on a 600 pound missile that will do 150mph.

Originally posted by SgtDuster

Another great case of "it's not because you got yourself a nice brand new shiny scalpel the you instantly become a skilled surgeon"
          Last edited by tkent02; 06-14-2012, 02:46 AM.

Comment

That is a really sweet ride. Be careful. Your engine is twice the size of mine and this thing zips along pretty good. This was also my first bike.
            Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
              The first thing that comes to mind with your electrical problem is low battery voltage, maybe a weak battery or charging problems. You may be right on the fine line between starting and nothing. The next are loose/corroded connections at battery, starter relay, or fuse box.
              What are your voltages across the battery? (key off, key on, idle, 5-6k rpm)
              This is the Quick Test

Charging system sanity Quick Test

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I should update with what I know is new.
                -The battery was replaced yesterday.. brand brand new.
                -The relay is also new.
                -The Rectifier is new, this was not replaced by me and I should check the brand.
                -The battery terminal connections have been emery clothed and are all very clean.

I tend to think it is the ignition switch or the fuse box connections as the bike started after I removed/reinstalled the main fuse box connector and the starting is not reliable like a connection.

I will run the "quick test" noted above and report the numbers tonight. Just for clarification which indicator lights should be off/on when the bike is running?

And yes this is my first first bike however I saw someone ride a motorcycle by my house the other day

In all seriousness, I am taking the course next week, I have been practicing on a Suzuki Savage for the last couple weeks, failing all that I bought lots of gear. I realize it is an enormous starter bike and something to be respected/ feared however if you are going to be a bear... be a grizzly.

Comment

I still wouldn't think ignition switch for your connection problem and this really sounds like what it is. This is more likely a source of voltage drop due to dirty connections. If you said playing with the fuse box got it to start then take it off and check. Throw in some new fuses for good measure. Clean up the grounds in the area.

Indicator lights? Make sure the oil one isn't lit while running. How many do you have?

Hopefully you'll find your problem quick and get good electrical test numbers. Posplayr is with this one too and he has spent a lot of time finding solutions to known problems with these things, documenting it all and improving the electrical system beyond that.

Until reactions are second nature on your bike tell yourself constantly about the minimum to stop your bike if panic sets in, which is pull in both levers! I have taught a few people to drive standard and I always told them to remember in a panic to push the two left pedals down.
                  Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Originally posted by Caseyuconn View Post

In all seriousness, I am taking the course next week, I have been practicing on a Suzuki Savage for the last couple weeks, failing all that I bought lots of gear. I realize it is an enormous starter bike and something to be respected/ feared however if you are going to be a bear... be a grizzly.
                    Damn dude! This is like seven Savage engines tied together. You have no idea. Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Damn dude! This is like seven Savage engines tied together. You have no idea. Good luck with that.

Hey Caseyuconn, I suspect maybe tkent has a few L's that he hasn't smashed to bits yet that he'd be willing to trade.
                      Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        That Boy better HOLD ON TIGHT... if you want a smaller bike to start out with, I would be glad to trade you my 750E straight across..LOL...

Good Luck.. and safe riding...

Comment

Working...
                        X