Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button doesn't work?!

Hi everyone!!

So today, my electronic start stopped working. I ride a 77' gs550. I can kick start the bike with ease, but I'm curious where to begin looking so I can fix this issue.

I don't mind kicking the bike, but with my new exhaust, the kick starter barely clears the exhaust piping, which makes it a little difficult to kick start it.

Any ideas?

If you're not hearing any sort of click from the solenoid, or any attempt to start at all, I'd check the contacts on the back of the starter button itself. They can become corroded to the point they no longer make a complete circuit.
    This will require disassembly of the switch housing, but it's only two screws, so it's cake

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      If you're not hearing any sort of click from the solenoid, or any attempt to start at all, I'd check the contacts on the back of the starter button itself. They can become corroded to the point they no longer make a complete circuit.
      This will require disassembly of the switch housing, but it's only two screws, so it's cake
      Hmm makes sense. It doesn't click nor make any attempt to start.

Would you recommend just replacing the 35yr old switch housing with something newer, and just wiring that in?

I appreciate the response!

Comment

I took the battery out of my 78 1000C and had the same thing happen. All the lights came on and it would start if i shorted across the selinoid terminals and all the fuses were good. But notta at the button.. It turned out to be that i didnt hook up one of the ground loops. Check all the ground loops by the battery for good rust free connections. You can also check inside the headlight bucket where it plugs in and be sure the pins are nice and clean. Some spray on contact cleaner may be in order.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiDmang View Post
          Hmm makes sense. It doesn't click nor make any attempt to start.

Would you recommend just replacing the 35yr old switch housing with something newer, and just wiring that in?

I appreciate the response!
          Nah, usually attacking the contacts with some contact cleaner and emery cloth or the like cleans em up to working order again. And if not, I'd try to find a cheap second hander to either use or pull the button from if it doesn't look as nice as yours over trying to wire something non OEM in. The biggest weak point in a Gs is (like many Japanese bikes of the day...and today..) is in the wiring. Putting MORE connections in there than already are is usually the last resort for me...

Comment

Thats what it was with my '81 850. Cleaned contacts and everything was hunky-dory.

Comment

I recommend CAIG deox-it. I've been using it to restore connections and switches on my bikes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiDmang View Post

Usually just removing the dead spiders from inside the switch will fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nah, usually attacking the contacts with some contact cleaner and emery cloth or the like cleans em up to working order again. And if not, I'd try to find a cheap second hander to either use or pull the button from if it doesn't look as nice as yours over trying to wire something non OEM in. The biggest weak point in a Gs is (like many Japanese bikes of the day...and today..) is in the wiring. Putting MORE connections in there than already are is usually the last resort for me...
                  Gotcha. I'll give that a shot! If I don't have contact cleaner, is there anything else I can use?

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  This made me LOL for real! I'll open it up and check it out!

Thank you everyone also for chipping in!

Comment

Putting MORE connections in there than already are is usually the last resort for me...
                    Yes, Josh, we know that you would rather smack it with a hammer than play with electrics.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Just make sure to replace with OEM live spiders. The aftermarket ones are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry View Post
                        Just make sure to replace with OEM live spiders. The aftermarket ones are crap.
                        You don't need to replace them just soak them in some WD-40

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                          You don't need to replace them just soak them in some WD-40
                          Guys - I have became very fond of this cleaner CRC Lectra-Motive. I have used it to clean anything that is needs to be non-flammable.... worked out really nice when I rebuild my starter.. so far the cheapest place has been walmart - Rob
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm no expert in this at all but I would recommend double checking that your fuses are good, especially if you aren't hearing a click. Use a power light or multimeter.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                            X