Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna ignition on a GS425L ?

Hey all,

I am thinking about installing a Dyna electronic ignition on my 1979 GS425L. They don't sell one for my bike but they do have one for the 400 of the previous year. It comes with a pair of coils so it's a little bit pricey and I want to make sure that it's going to work. A mechanical advance is required which I do have behind my points plate. The tech guy at Dyna said that I would need to add a washer and cut a notch for the oil pressure switch and that there was something else he still needed to verify. So how about it, has anyone out there tried this? And if so, could you let me know how it worked out.

Also, I wanted to say how much I appreciate this website - the valve shim trades, the electrical diagnostics, the top tens, etc. - What a great resource this has been as I get this bike that sat for a few years back on the road.

Lena

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Ms. Lena,

Sorry I can't help you with your ignition question. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Like this... New Members, CLICK HERE!!

I'm sure you've already seen the "mega-welcome", but I can't help myself.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by biker bitch View Post
      Hey all,

I am thinking about installing a Dyna electronic ignition on my 1979 GS425L. They don't sell one for my bike but they do have one for the 400 of the previous year. It comes with a pair of coils so it's a little bit pricey and I want to make sure that it's going to work. A mechanical advance is required which I do have behind my points plate. The tech guy at Dyna said that I would need to add a washer and cut a notch for the oil pressure switch and that there was something else he still needed to verify. So how about it, has anyone out there tried this? And if so, could you let me know how it worked out.

Also, I wanted to say how much I appreciate this website - the valve shim trades, the electrical diagnostics, the top tens, etc. - What a great resource this has been as I get this bike that sat for a few years back on the road.

Lena
      Hi Lena and welcome!

Yep, do it, you won't regret it

I spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with Dynatek getting it all sorted and installed on my GS450.

Another fella on here has managed to retro fit one onto a GS300 as well...

From what I see on the parts fiche, it looks like the 425 is the same as the 400 in that it doesn't have the oil pressure switch underneath the timing cover, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Also, it appears that the 425 shares the same contact breaker and advance unit as the 400, which means you shouldn't need the spacer either.

Essentially you should be able to treat your 425 just like the 400 in the provided instructions to make it nice and easy

Not sure how much it will help, but this is my thread from when my ignitor died and I ended up with the Dynatek:

The Dynatek stuff starts at post #188

Keep us up to date with your progress and we really need to see some photos too
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hi Lena, New handle? Go for the Dyna system they are much better than a contact point set. By the way, you are still a member in the club. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

So great to see replies. Yay!

Well, Pete, I must tell you, I think you are really good at telling a lady just exactly what she wants to hear. I was thinking the same thing about the oil pressure switch but I wasn’t sure. It so nice to hear from someone who’s already tried it. So, you think I’ll be able to just follow the directions. That would be great. I checked out the link you sent me and yours looked a little complicated. I’m having enough trouble simply identifying some of the things in the basic directions like ‘points cam’ and ‘spark advance assembly.’ I wouldn’t be surprised if you heard from me again. Also, you are absolutely correct, I really should get some photos up. I’ll have to figure out how to make the files smaller.

And Ray – I’m so glad you remember me. I’ve been thinking it’s about time to check those valve clearances again. And yeah, I upgraded from bitch to biker bitch cuz I hadn’t been on the site for awhile. I moved into a new place and the bike went on the back burner but since the transmission on my car is going, I’m really trying to get the bike into dependable shape. Luckily, I am blessed to have a good friend who works on antiques bikes and new custom jobs so he gives me a lot of advice. Combine that with this website where I can take all the time I need to look up all kinds of things and learn from others experience and all the incredibly invaluable GS specific info... makes my bike (and me) happy.
          Lena
          Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM. Reason: small print

Comment

Don't be too concerned Lena, the 450 is a lot more complicated due to the oil pressure switch and having to run an extra wire for it etc.

Putting the Dynatek in is fairly straight forward and I found the instructions were ok.

I have a lot more photos here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

IMO the upgrade is absolutely well worth it, although in my case it was replacing the stock faulty electrical ignition the 450's have.

Also, the kit doesn't come with spark plug leads, so grab a set of them when you get the kit as well.

The coils are a little larger than the stock items so routing the harness around them is a bit fiddly.

I also found the wiring for the unit was about 2 inches shorter than I would've liked so I made a little harness for each coil to solve that issue. Probably the last half dozen photos or so in the album I linked to above will show you what I mean. Ignore the extra yellow and black wires hanging off the negative side of the coils, they're to drive my Acewell tacho. and for a future wideband analyser I hope to acquire at some point. The extra green wire running from the Dynatek itself is for the oil pressure switch so you don't need to worry about that either.

I suspect the short wiring issue won't be an issue on the 425 as the coil connections are different and I think you'll be fine in that regard.

I'm more than happy to help when you get to installing it and there's many more on here with Dynatek experience too, although possibly not with the twin models. There's not much difference though

sigpic

Comment

Hi Lena

how did you go with that dyna upgrade. I am rebuilding an 79 425 and am going to compleatly rewire the bike and will more than likly use this coil as every one is raving about it.

Pete

Your upgrade with the new taco can you pick up your rpm off of the dyna coil.

Thanks guys

Comment

Can't tell you how the dyna upgrade went...I didn't get to it.
                When I got the bike, my mechanic told me to change the points, so I did.
                Turned out the ones I took out still had quite a bit of life left in them,
                so I've been using them and no longer pressured to decide what to do.
                My priorities changed to getting the carbs in better condition.

But your timing is uncanny.
                Earlier this week I sent an email to Larry at Dynatek.
                Are you with the NSA watching my emails.

The DS3-3C works on the 400 and 450 but hasn't yet been tried on the 425. It comes with two coils.

The other option is the DBR-2 which is a points booster system.

I'm leaning towards the one with the coils (if only to be able to change my plug wires).
                It is made for the 400 which seems to be the same as the 425 in this particular area
                (according to the Clymer manual and online parts diagrams)

I will also post the dynatek response.
                Good Luck

Lena

Comment

Here is the info from the manufacturer.
                  My 425 doesn't appear to have the oil pressure switch so that modification might not be necessary for you either.
                  Be sure and let me know what you decide and how it goes.

Unfortunately, we have not had the opportunity to get a 425 in for examination. However, the information we can obtain would suggest that the Dyna-S ignition kit, part number DS3-3C will install and work fine, with nominal modifications.
                  The modifications needed would be the notching of the Dyna-S plate to clear the oil pressure switch enough to allow the Dyna-S plate to be moved for timing adjustment. We believe that you will also need a non magnetic washer, 3/16” thick with a 15mm center hole, that will install between the Dyna-S magnetic rotor and the stock retaining hardware.
                  The DBR-2 Booster system would also work well. It allows for a stronger, more consistent coil charge time while limiting current flow between the point contacts, which will eliminate point contact wear. You will actually wear out the points rubbing block long before the point contacts ever show any sign of wear.
                  We know the DBR-2 will install and work fine. The Dyna-S on the 425 motor will offer improved performance over the DBR-2, but we are still a bit unclear of any potential issues installing.
                  I can only suggest you make the decision based on how you feel installing and using either one.
                  If you elect to install the Dyna-S, (or Booster) please remember we will be here to assist you the best we can.
                  Larry Nelson
                  Technical Support
                  Dynatek

Comment

MS Lena: the Dynatek will definitely go into the 425 according to all the research I did talking with Dynatek before putting mine on. If you have points now, you will definitely need to go with the DS3-3C kit as your existing coils will have condensors and I don't think they will play nicely with the Dynatek.

Also given yours has points, you may not need the washer but not 100% on that.

Gronzdog: The tacho drive for the Acewell is easy from the Dynatek coils, and would've been more difficult from the stock ones.

Acewell provide a 10K ohm resistor for the tacho signal wire, so I soldered that on and put a fork type electrical connector on the end of the lead.

The Dynatek coils have threaded holes and screws for the + and - connections, so I just screwed the tacho signal wire in with the - wire from the Dynatek and it works like a charm.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X