83 gs750e charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs750e charging issue

I just finished rebuilding a 83' gs750e, i'm having an issue with the charging system. After putting in the harness and carefully checking all connections, after start up, at idle @1100rpm, the voltage at the battery is 16.78 volts and climbs higher then that, the main fuze pops after about 17.68 volts. i'm wandering whether the voltage regulator is my problem , has anyone had this issue? i'm also unsure about the connection from the stator( 3 yellow wires) to the harness which is also 3 solid yellow wires, is there any special way to connect them , the stator wires each put out almost 90 volts.
    any help would be appreciated.

Krys, check out this this handy welcome to new members.
    Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not

Will answer most of your questions. Check out the STATOR PAPERS. You definitely have an issue that you can identify if you follow these instructions.

Please post your location. We have many members that may be close by to help you out

Comment

Originally posted by Krys Kardasz View Post
      I just finished rebuilding a 83' gs750e, i'm having an issue with the charging system. After putting in the harness and carefully checking all connections, after start up, at idle @1100rpm, the voltage at the battery is 16.78 volts and climbs higher then that, the main fuze pops after about 17.68 volts. i'm wandering whether the voltage regulator is my problem , has anyone had this issue? i'm also unsure about the connection from the stator( 3 yellow wires) to the harness which is also 3 solid yellow wires, is there any special way to connect them , the stator wires each put out almost 90 volts.
      any help would be appreciated.
      NO special way, they can be connected in any order....

by the way, I am having a similar issue to yours as well, and the same type of bike.....go figure...

Comment

If you're getting 90 volts ac on each leg of the stator then the R/R is the culprit. Check the tips and tricks section for a list of regulators that will work or invest in a Compufire unit. Make sure you have good grounds too.

Comment

thanx everyone

I will test the resistance on the regulator today just to be sure.

Comment

Having owned the same bike and having experienced the same issues, I can say without a doubt that you have a failed R/R. Unfortunately, they are notorious for it.

You may be able to bring it back into line by adding another ground lead from the black white wire directly to the battery negative pole. This worked for me for almost a year but ultimately it gave up the ghost and need to be replaced.

While there are several options for replacement, the cheapest solution I've found is to go with a Shindengen R/R which are common on Hondas and Kawasakis. They are more robust than OEM Suzuki and better regulate the voltage as they use a "sense" wire that monitors actual voltage output. They will have either 6 or 8 wires made up of the 3 from the stator a red output, a green ground and a thinner black sense wire. The 8 wire unit doubles up the grounds and the outputs.

Mr. Matchless has put together an extensive list of those R/rs that will work on our bikes so dig that up and have a look at what you can use.

As mentioned there are other aftermarket solutions and even some high tech options but a cheap old used unit will usually work fine.

One of the issues with charging and the electrical circuits in general is that good grounds and clean contacts are essential. As I mentioned, adding another ground lead to the stock R/r often helps as does a through cleaning of all the contacts you can locate. Its tedious work but necessary for good dependable running and charging.

Good luck with it.
            Spyug

Comment

Thanx a bunch.
              I just ordered one that's a little heavier duty, at least that's what they advertised it as.
              should get in a few days , will let you guys know how it works out

Comment

Working...
              X