Clear All

still lacking in volts

Okay i replaced the R/R with a fh009aa

checked the stater all 3 were right at 70vac @ 5krpm

across the battery

idle 12.45vdc
    4000rpm- 13.5vdc..

What else could be the problem?
    i replaced bullet connectors with spade.

Is the battery fully charged?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

did you connect and wired it up like this?

Comment

Brand new battery strait off the charger.

Comment

Then, more than likely, you have excessive resistance in one or more of the electrical connections and (or) devices on your bike.

Check for voltage drops per http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...31&postcount=1
          Make sure you do these two tests and report the results for diagnosis.
          STEP #2 MEASURE POSITIVE LEAD VOLTAGE DROP
          STEP #3 MEASURE NEGATIVE LEAD VOLTAGE DROP
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

As RustyB suggests its likely dirty connections. You would be surprised how easily they can rob you of voltage. I've just gone through a similar problem on my 550. I had around 12.5v on the battery at rest and yet only 10.5 at the coils. I cleaned up everything and traced the drop all the way to the kill switch which accounted for the best part of the missing 2 volts. As the kill switch is an assembled unit and damn near impossible to clean I was unable to regain my loss and had to resort to the coil relay modification to get more battery voltage to the coils.

In addition to dirty connectors, insufficient grounding can be another culprit. Also with my bike I was having charging issues. Erratic charging and less than optimal rates until I added extra ground leads from the R/R. Make sure that the body of the R/R is connected clean metal to metal to the frame and try taking it's ground wire directly to the battery negative pole. In my case, I have done that and in addition, added another ground lead from the R/R's lead to another frame point.

You may also find unused ground wires in your harness and it is not a bad idea to attach them to frame points as well.

After doing these "mods" my charging system is healthy and well within spec.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
            spyug

Comment

Clean up all your grounds, and make sure you have a good ground between, battery and motor, battery and frame,and battery and regulator, if you grounded to the battery box, or the plate that the regulator bolts to where the factory did it is not sufficient .
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Im Faster View Post
                Brand new battery strait off the charger.
                Pull the headlight fuse and recheck the idle and 4k voltage output. Is your R/R well grounded to battery negative?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What gauge wire are you running to/from the R/R (not talking about the three from the stator)? Some folks use #10 AWG, which I think is a little excessive; I used #12 and the Eastern Beaver connection kit, but you could also use one like this to get the open barrel connectors in a large enough size to adequately 'grasp' the wire. Solder 'em up properly, weatherize your setup somehow and you should be set.

My GS1000G actually had an FH009AA when I bought it, but it was wired with really thin wire, like #16, and then it was sealed to death with some type of epoxy so I couldn't upgrade the wire size. The output was pretty sad -- in the 13's at best, even with a new Rick's stator. I simply bought another FH009AA from eBay and wired it properly, and I get 14.52v from just off idle all the way up. Same stator. The regulation is pancake-flat and, most importantly, provides a nice bright headlight.

I love happy endings.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

i will start checking connectoins and wires soon

Comment

Working...
                    X