Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal lights cancelling

I have a 79 gs1000e, So here's my problem,

My turn signals work fine both ways but only if I hold the signal switch in the direction I want to turn. As soon as I let go of it they stop flashing. I've taken apart and cleaned out the switch and made sure the switch wasn't contacting the shut off but it is still doing this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Is the turn signal system completely stock on that bike or it been someone 'modified' by someone along the way?

Yes, No or uncertain?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes it has been modified, I thought it was just a bad wire that was replaced but after cutting open some harnesses it was supposed to go to the turn signal control unit but instead goes straight up to the handlebar switch, from this I gather the control unit needs to be replaced and the wires reattached and it will work like a charm.

Comment

Good luck finding that control unit.

There have been a couple of threads in the past giving the procedure to remove a failed control unit on a '79 or older bike. It is a different system than what came on the '80 and newer bikes, so be careful to note which one you are reading about when you do your search.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          Yes it has been modified,
          I figured so. Didn't care to play twenty questions finding out if it had or not.

If it still has the stock left hand control, open it up remove the centering spring from it.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That's really not a bad modification. At least your signal will stop the moment you let go of the switch, to remove that centering spring will allow them to flash forever until you turn them off manually. The problem here is you may be driving with them signaling a turn and you forgot your turn signal is on, then have someone pull out in front of you.
            In daylight it's not always easy to tell if they're flashing or not because of the daylight, at least that's the case with me.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

80 1100E indicator issue

I bought these signals for my bike. I am putting these on the front and rear...I know they say license plate signals but have a creative way to put them on the front.(in case you were wondering)

They are 2 wire, single filament, 21watt.
              They wont blink. I push left, the lefts come on, I push right, the rights come on but none blink
              The relay makes that honk/squeak sound when I turn them on, and when I tap the relay they will blink, but only once. If I tap it again, it will blink one time again.
              I have an 80 850G project bike that shares the same turn signal realay and TCSU. I have tried swapping them out get the same result.
              Is it the 21 Watt that is my problem? Or something else?
              Any suggestions?

Comment

sorry, meant to start a new thread as not to hi jack, but forgot in the middle of my reading this one. Any help on my post below?

Comment

Thank you rusty bronco, works like a charm now she will pass safety....if you ever cross the border into Ontario send me a note and I'll buy you a beer

Comment

disregard my below posts.
                    I started a new thread.
                    thx

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      disregard my below posts.
                      My post is now at the bottom, there are NONE of yours below this.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        My post is now at the bottom, there are NONE of yours below this.

....well physically on the screen they are below You know what I meant Steve !

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                          ....well physically on the screen they are below You know what I meant Steve !
                          No, seriously, THIS is at the bottom of the screen.

I'll bet you still have the default setting where all the new posts are first.

That is a VERY awkward way to read long thread.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X