Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had lights when connected to charger, now nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had lights when connected to charger, now nothing.

Well i've just recently boughten a 79 gs750. What the problem is, is earlier today when i was trying to get it started, i had it hooked up to a charger since i was told that battery was bad. Well it couldn't get enough juice to turn over with the button so i just kick started it, which by the way, i could kick it once and it would want to start but after that it acted like there was no spark? Anyways, when i turned the key on, the light/panel/horn all worked. Now it won't even start when i kick it, and theres no accessories. I've read the stator papers, but cant test that right now, but does that kinda sound like a bad stator/reg/rec?

Welcome to the site.
    I recall good old small bikes that would run on a magneto
    no battery no hassles.

My bike requires a properly functioning battery as part of its system.
    I am pretty sure you would see no spark now if you were to kick it over while using a test plug.

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
      Well i've just recently boughten a 79 gs750. What the problem is, is earlier today when i was trying to get it started, i had it hooked up to a charger since i was told that battery was bad. Well it couldn't get enough juice to turn over with the button so i just kick started it, which by the way, i could kick it once and it would want to start but after that it acted like there was no spark? Anyways, when i turned the key on, the light/panel/horn all worked. Now it won't even start when i kick it, and theres no accessories. I've read the stator papers, but cant test that right now, but does that kinda sound like a bad stator/reg/rec?
      Get yourself a new battery and then we'll go from there. Oh and welcome to the asylum. Prepare for a little frustration and much fun.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Ok, guess i'll get one tomorrow and see how it acts then.

Comment

Have you checked the fuse(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
            Ok, guess i'll get one tomorrow and see how it acts then.
            The battery is just the start, there's a ton of other things you are going to need to do to make this 33 year old machine reliable and safe.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

koolaid. No i haven't checked the fuses, i suppose i should have done that. well, anyone wanna guess what i just found? Yep blown fuse. The top one on the fuse panel.

allo, im aware of that, just gotta take it one step at a time. Doesn't help the PO had some fun with the wiring harness, took off turn signals and brake light for a different light. Not the best job at all.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Now that you found a blown fuse, you might want to figure out why it blew. It could be just age, but if another one blows you will need to find the short(s).

Comment

Ok, ill replace it and go from there. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X