Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this thing on my 82 GS450L CLUSTER???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this thing on my 82 GS450L CLUSTER???

I've noticed this thing on my cluster and have NO IDEA what the heck it is??? looks like an electric eye with a dot on the lower part??

Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM.

I am curious now too. I am sure someone will know.
    I will say tho, that I am amazed by how much I learned about my bike when I downloaded my owners manual from Cliffs site. They give a full instrument cluster breakdown of function/features check it out!

Comment

Big Brother is watching.

(Smile. )

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IT'S A STYE!!!!!!!OH NOOOO. i think it is prolly something the po put there,looks unusual.they watch me while i sleep too!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
          IT'S A STYE!!!!!!!OH NOOOO. i think it is prolly something the po put there,looks unusual.they watch me while i sleep too!!
          nope . its underneath the clear portion of the plastic???
          I think it is stock but may tear into it. I might place the digital voltmeter in the spot where the gas gage would have resided if there was one..???? ?T?#%$^^^

I've searched here and the web for images of it but can't find one thats even close to mine???
          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

i found this but it does not have the 'eye'????WTF

Comment

my curiosity killed my cat

I tore the sucker all apart and found that in the corresponding space with the yellow dot, there is a bulb and socket already installed. exactly like the others. the wires coming to it are RED AND BLACK.. BUT they are cut off about 6 inches out of the harness, and taped.
              to add to the mystery. there was a line that looked exactly like a FISHING LINE.. transparent monofilament.. running from outside, thru the rubber bulb socket, and into the light housing and into the tiny hole that could bee seen in my first picture. my initial observation was that it was a fiber optic but it was too tiny and not coated. it also LOOKED STOCK but it too was only about 6 inches out into the harness then stopped!!!

OK I then removed two phillips screws and removed the light housing and there is a black plastic mask with the varoius rectangles cut out for the various things,,.. hi beam, neutral, etc. there IS a round spot for this mystery spot. ALSO there is a piece of yellow tape on the light housing and it looks factory
              ?? I pulled off the tape and there is a PINK YES PINK translucent insert there .....it is flush and not raised up like the other piece for neutral, etc.
              Since I don't need a pink light or anything else just yet I opted to replace the tape over it with BLACK TAPE, put it all together and now I can't see the round spot unless I look just right. I bet your 450s have this too, and maybe the tape was black but it got SUN FADED??

or maybe this cluster was off of another bike cause some PO dumped it???? your guesses please!!!

Comment

the more i think about it, i think one of the previous owners wanted another indicator light for whatever reason. he took it all apart and probably DRILLED a hole in the mask. I forgot to look closely, but if there was no hole there, it would be easy to do, then it would expose the unused spot. the pink thing might have been there , who knows? then after changing his mind, tried to cover it back up???
                You can still se the hole now but at least it's black and only I know its there but i wish another 450 guy would tear his apart!!!

Comment

Working...
                X