Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS1150EF electrical gremlins..help pls

Hi Everyone,
    I have been tinkering with a recently purchased 84 1150EF getting it ready for our Ontario Safety Inspection.
    I have spent many hours reading previous posts but have not seen this problem or its fix.
    Initially there was no high beam, the bulb, a 100/55w H4 checked out fine, and when refitted it started to work, great, but then realised the tail lights were out. Both bulbs had blown filaments, installed new ones, but still out, brake lights were good and license light was good.
    Had a digi volt meter and suddenly found 8.5 volts there, way low but gave a light.
    Then they went again, bulbs still good, pulled the connector under seat, found voltage again, then later gone again. Unwrapped some tape before the connector and found an additional wire spliced into the tail lamp feed, it went up under the fuel tank, could not see what PO had it connected to.. and do not want to remove tank at this time, as too itchy to go for a quick ride to the inspection garage.
    Since the license plate light is working okay I am thinking to jump power from it, but would really like to "fix" the underlying problem, but what is it?? Why only 8+ volts when there is any power? (measured same when ground taken at bulb holder or direct to -ve battery
    Have not checked the Vs to the license lamp yet.

Volts at battery not the best, one time it looked as if no charge, in the 11vs and dropping, then tried again and slowly climbed up to 13+volts.
    Bike has sat for maybe a couple of years, but was supposedly fine before then..

Also the headlamp and battery warning lights are staying on, (the battery sensor is installed and connected)

Battery is fairly new, bike starts easily and with a Yoshi header it sounds reeeally nice, having not ridden for a few years I do not want to get into any major work while we still have good riding weather here.
    I will be looking forward to any thoughts on my problem(s)

Did find a link for a manual, but will need a better www connect to download 50Mb, really need a wiring diagram and locations for components, eg, where is the fuse box?

Cheers
    Trevor T
    Durham Ontario
    Canada

First, welcome to the forum.
    Second, thank you for posting in the correct section.
    Third, you are going to have to bite the bullet and download that manual. It has what you need. You can also purchase one if you wish, but it is critical for working on your bike.
    And lastly, you are obviously going to have to go through that wiring harness with a fine toothed comb. It has clearly been tampered with, and not in a good way.
    Best of luck.
    And your fuse block is under the left side cover as you are sitting on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by qcktvr View Post
      Hi Everyone,
      I have been tinkering with a recently purchased 84 1150EF getting it ready for our Ontario Safety Inspection.
      I have spent many hours reading previous posts but have not seen this problem or its fix.
      Initially there was no high beam, the bulb, a 100/55w H4 checked out fine, and when refitted it started to work, great, but then realised the tail lights were out. Both bulbs had blown filaments, installed new ones, but still out, brake lights were good and license light was good.
      Had a digi volt meter and suddenly found 8.5 volts there, way low but gave a light.
      Then they went again, bulbs still good, pulled the connector under seat, found voltage again, then later gone again. Unwrapped some tape before the connector and found an additional wire spliced into the tail lamp feed, it went up under the fuel tank, could not see what PO had it connected to.. and do not want to remove tank at this time, as too itchy to go for a quick ride to the inspection garage.
      Since the license plate light is working okay I am thinking to jump power from it, but would really like to "fix" the underlying problem, but what is it?? Why only 8+ volts when there is any power? (measured same when ground taken at bulb holder or direct to -ve battery
      Have not checked the Vs to the license lamp yet.

Volts at battery not the best, one time it looked as if no charge, in the 11vs and dropping, then tried again and slowly climbed up to 13+volts.
      Bike has sat for maybe a couple of years, but was supposedly fine before then..

Also the headlamp and battery warning lights are staying on, (the battery sensor is installed and connected)

Battery is fairly new, bike starts easily and with a Yoshi header it sounds reeeally nice, having not ridden for a few years I do not want to get into any major work while we still have good riding weather here.
      I will be looking forward to any thoughts on my problem(s)

Did find a link for a manual, but will need a better www connect to download 50Mb, really need a wiring diagram and locations for components, eg, where is the fuse box?

Cheers
      Trevor T
      Durham Ontario
      Canada
      I can email you the manual I have on pdf and I have the colour wiring diagram too. PM me your email. And welcome to the forum. Nice choice in bikes and good name!
      Trevor
      And oh yeah, how about some pics?
      No signature

Comment

Passed safety

Hi again,
        now have the safety cert in hand, so off to license office to register and get a plate needed as I have not had a bike for about 5yrs and the old ones have got lost with the divorce..
        I had no rear lights again this morning, so thro' on a jumper from the license light feed, which has always worked, then had nice bright rears, but that came with another warning light being on, stop/tail and headlamp??
        I went thro' stator problems with an 83 650 Honda turbo, what a pain to get at that was, the way people talk about replacing them it must be much easier on our GS's, hopefully.
        My only other GS was a 79 750, around 83, and I never thought of electrical problems then, oh to be young again...
        I did just check the volts at the 1st connector on the red lead comiing from the RR and it was up to 13.5 at 4-5000, but only 13v at the battery, and slow to come up there, battery only 12.25 everything off, so 1amp charger on it now... but 13v should be good to go for a ride this afternoon???
        I found a post about removing the "monitor", I believe it was related to some strange voltage issues, might that be causing some of mine??
        Take care everyone
        Trevor T
        in Durham(the town) ON.
        Will try and take a pic some time..
        Loved riding the beast...

Comment

Welcome from Hamilton.

I know the feeling about just wanting to ride as I've (once again) lost most of the season to "issues". However it sounds like you have some dodgy electrical things going on (likely among other things) and unless you want to end up stranded somewhere you may want to make checking these things out a priority.

There is lots of information here and you are going to be force fed it a bit shortly but for now just a little advice. Start cleaning all your electrical connections as dirty connections are the cause of your low voltages. In addition, check that you have good grounds. Many baffling electrical problems are caused by poor or missing grounds.

There will be other things you will need to do, I'm sure, but that's what winter is for, just don't neglect electricals.

Enjoy the new ride.
          Spyug
          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Hope you get the certificate. As soon as you get the manual, you absolutely must go through that wiring harness front to rear. You cannot just hope things will work out, things do not happen that way.
            And they are beasts, aren't they?

Comment

Working...
            X