Unknown electrical connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown electrical connections

Hey fellas. Bike has been under a tarp the whole season due to riding the other bike till it got stolen out of my driveway. Anywho, I have some electrical connections that I cannot really figure out after looking at the electrical diagrams.

The first photo is of two yellow wires going into a single female bullet connector right above the carbs.

The second photo is of an orange/red wire (the connector is obviously new).

The third photo is of the solid green wire with the white tracer. I could not find a match for that wire. I know the white/green wire is for the r/r.

The last picture is for a yellow/black wire, and a black/white wire running in-front of the battery box.

I could not find out where any of the wires went to. Much help is appreciated, as the carbs are ready to be put back onto the bike, and I'm ready to re-install the battery box and new r/r, and get this thing going.

Thanks fellas.

The question that begs to be asked is, what bike are you talking about?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Whoops. 1982 650L

Comment

The one with two wheels and handlebars, silly.

Comment

Dropbox picture#1

Are the yellows a separate takeout from the loom, or are they part of the hard shell? If they are part of the hard shell, list the other colours in the hardshell.

Last edited by rustybronco; 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

There is a wiring diagram on Cliff's site.

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Rusty, I'm not going to interfere, but if I may point you in the correct direction:
              If you download the proper wiring diagram from BassCliff's site, expand it a bit and look at the connector for the engine kill switch and starter button (top center). Notice two Y/W wires coming out and joining together. That is the one he is talking about. You can take it from there; it is supposed to lead somewhere and apparently is unplugged.

Comment

"The last picture is for a yellow/black wire, and a black/white wire running in-front of the battery box." probably fuel gauge sender

"The third photo is of the solid green wire with the white tracer. I could not find a match for that wire. I know the white/green wire is for the r/r."-
                well,...green with yellow is solenoid trigger

"The first photo is of two yellow wires going into a single female bullet connector right above the carbs" ... mine has a two blue wires and connector appearing out of plug in same spot- I assumed it went to turn signal relay

New R/R ? don't forget to bypass stator loop to headlight switch
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Koolaid, I have downloaded the wiring diagram for it. The only yellows shown in it connect the high beam, high beam indicator and the dimer switch together.

The first photo is of two 'yellow wires' going into a single female bullet connector right above the carbs.
                  No indication of a white tracer stated. As I don't have the same bike he does, I have to go with what He's saying; unless I find out differently

Comment

O.K.
                    Ian, I suggest you are incorrect on the first pic. I clearly see two yellow wires with a white tracer on them (Y/W). They are coming out of the plastic connector and joining together into a female bullet connector. They are supposed to go to a single male bullet connector, also Y/W, which goes to your dimmer switch.
                    That connector also has a Green/Y, which is clearly visible, which goes from your starter button to your solenoid.
                    That connector also has a R/W loop, which is clearly visible.
                    It also has two O/W wires, also visible, one of which feeds power to your kill switch, the other feeds power from your starter button to a bunch of stuff. This second wire, if the kill switch is enabled, will not feed power to stuff you need, your coils and igniter. This is how the kill switch prohibits the engine from running.
                    So, to answer your first question: There should be a male Y/W bullet connector that leads to your dimmer switch.

Comment

Okey dokey. Seems like all the wires will be accounted for. Yellows for dimmer, green/yellow for solenoid with red/white, and the yellow/black wires to the fuel sending unit. Thanks fellas, i knew u'd pull through for me.

Comment

Oh wait. One more wire unaccounted for. Orange/red?

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                          Since it appears to be an add-on, ignore it for now- might power some accessory .
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hmm. Okay, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                              The O/R is defined as "NOT USED SPARE CONNECTOR". In the wiring diagram, you can see it at the bottom in between the oil pressure switch and turn signal relay. It appears to be powered, however, so be sure and keep that red crimped connector on it. In fact, I would put some liquid rubber or liquid electrical tape on it. Liquid Tape Example
                              This is just an example, you can purchase a small tube for a lot less money.

Comment

Working...
                              X