Dyna S Ignition - Special coils needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S Ignition - Special coils needed?

Hi all, I have bought a Dyna S ignition for my GS550 and was wondering if this is ok to hook up to the standard (35 year old) coils, or would it be best to get new ones? If so, which type is suitable for this ?

Thanks.

Should be fine. Since you don't list the year of your 550, I will say a couple of things:
    The points bikes came with 5 Ohm coils, the electronic ignitions with 3 Ohm coils. The Dyna S will work with either, but the 5 Ohm coils will not deliver quite as hot a spark.
    The Dyna Coils are a popular upgrade. They are larger, hence have more windings and will deliver a hotter spark. If you install the Dyna S, I would recommend the green Dyna Coils, which are 3 Ohm and will deliver the hottest spark. And for very little money, the Dyna wires as well.
    So, the best would be the Dyna S, the Dyna Green coils, and the Dyna wires.
    The Dyna coils are a bit sensitive to input voltage, so you would want to do the coil relay mod as well. Easy to do, easy on the pocketbook.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am only using a very small battery as I'm trying to "hide" it will this affect the output, sorry I have no idea what I'm doing (can ya tell?) the bike is a 1978 with KD points originally, I just thought that going with a fresh new Dyna S, I may be defeating the object with the old coils. Whats the "mod" you are talking about?

Comment

First, the battery only comes into effect when starting the bike. After that, you are running off the charging system. So that is a non-issue.
        Second, a relay mod sends full voltage to the coils. Always a good thing, since corrosion and the passage of time lessens the voltage to the coils. There are a myriad of ways to connect up a relay to do this, perhaps someone else can help you there as I did my own my way rather than the ways posted here.
        I have never worked on a 550, but I have heard there are special considerations when installing a Dyna S on a 550. I suggest you concentrate on that part first, coils second. I am certain that 550 owners will chip in when they are around. (I am just up late, it is very late here in the U.S.)
        You have come to the right place, there are lots of folk here who can guide you, just stick around.

Comment

Theres info on the coil relay mod on BassCliff's web site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...relay_mod.html

What's you're goal with upgrading the ignition system? The coil relay mod will probably make a pretty significant improvement in the spark quality, so you may want to do that first and take it from there.

Comment

Thank you so much guys for your patience to a complete electrical numpty!

My goal, i guess, is better and reliable starting and running, since this will be a kick only bike (kind of a cafe-tracker type thingy).

Ok, will go check out the relay mod, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "kick only" wiring diagram that someone has done? I'm am building this all from scratch so a new loom will be required.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

If you are making a new wiring harness then there is no reason to built relays into it since your connection voltage loss should be non existent. Personally, I wouldn't build a new harness, I'd just modify the one you have. Unwrap all the tape then systematically remove wires you don't need. When done, rewrap the harness with new tape and you are done.

To clean the connector terminals they must first be extracted from the plastic connector shells. Pretty easy work once you aquatint yourself with the proper technique and either make or build a terminal tool. With the terminals loose you can clean the brass in acid of some sort followed by a scrub down with a stainless steel brush. Also pinch the female terminals closed somewhat.

Good luck
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                If you are making a new wiring harness then there is no reason to built relays into it since your connection voltage loss should be non existent. Personally, I wouldn't build a new harness, I'd just modify the one you have. Unwrap all the tape then systematically remove wires you don't need. When done, rewrap the harness with new tape and you are done.

To clean the connector terminals they must first be extracted from the plastic connector shells. Pretty easy work once you aquatint yourself with the proper technique and either make or build a terminal tool. With the terminals loose you can clean the brass in acid of some sort followed by a scrub down with a stainless steel brush. Also pinch the female terminals closed somewhat.

Good luck
                Thank you for your advice, that may be an easier way as I do have the original harness, messy, but I think its all there

Thanks alot.

Comment

Working...
                X