Fuse box problems with my 78 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse box problems with my 78 1000

OK put the battery in my 78 GS1000 to see if everything was good.Neutral and oil lights came on,sigs worked.But when I hit the starter.

This happened to the fuses.

Did I wire the wrong red lead in this bundle to the R/R?Would it matter?

Would putting this fuse box from a 83 GS 750 be a good idea?

Wires appear to be the same "codes".
    Or an I missing something?

OK 18 views with no thoughts as to what might be going on?

This box is suspect as I took it apart to clean it up per BassCliff's article I found this.

Seemed to solder up OK but starting to think this might be the problem.

Comment

Yup...looks to me that the wire had been pinched and shorts soon as the power is applied.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And yes, I would certainly replace the glass fuse block with an AGC fuse block if I had the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Yup...looks to me that the wire had been pinched and shorts soon as the power is applied.
          Think that wire was "nicked" by a hot soldering iron.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          And yes, I would certainly replace the glass fuse block with an AGC fuse block if I had the opportunity.
          Yeah the more I'm thinking about it the better this is looking to me as well.I see more soldering and shrink wrapping om my future.Seems like all I've been doing lately.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            I see more soldering and shrink wrapping om my future.Seems like all I've been doing lately.
            I thought I would never finish that part of my build.

Just a note. I upgraded my fuseblock to an Eastern Beaver PC-8. Great little piece of craftsmanship there. More expensive but they are nice units. I suggest them whole-heartedly.

I got one with a relay kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
              I thought I would never finish that part of my build.

Just a note. I upgraded my fuseblock to an Eastern Beaver PC-8. Great little piece of craftsmanship there. More expensive but they are nice units. I suggest them whole-heartedly.

I got one with a relay kit.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/main/pr...pc-8/pc-8.html
              Yeah those are a nice bit of kit.But the advantages of the 750 box are:
              1 I have it here
              2 It don't need to pay for it
              3 I already know where the wires go.
              4 Standard blade fuses I can get nearly anywhere.Noticed the EB has "mini" ones.I'm sure they aren't hard to get but..........
              In no way knocking Eastern Beaver's product but I think the 750 box will be just fine.

Comment

Finally got around to getting this done.Here's the plate I'm using to mount the 83 750 box to.

And here it is mounted.Didn't have the oomph to put the battery in and check it out.
                PSS:Crossing my fingers and toes that this works.

Comment

And it does!Was a bit of bother with a blown igition fuse but another one fixed that up nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X