Fuse Box Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse Box Diagram

Does anyone have a diagram on the fuse box on an 82 GSx400 or similar bike (Any GS).

I am having a hard time under standing what routes where. I have read through a few threads and didn't see anything simplified.

I am especially having issues understanding why there is a switched and unswitched (IE hot) lines what do they go to? would an always how drain the battery (i'm assuming there is a relay someplace)

I also checked the GS400 wiring Diagram but i don't think it shows a fuze box.

Sorry know this might be a bit of a beginner electricity question. I just want to make sure i understand what i'm doing before I go prodding around

(BTW because of reading the forum I now know how a stator and R/R work and are wired up so i am learning )
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM.

any of these help ?

Comment

I will take a look when i get home . Where thouse pics are hosted is blocked here.

I am not so much looking for a wiring diagram of the whole bike just a simplified one of the fuse box. I'm just having trouble getting the concept. I get most of it.

The reason i as is i want to switch to a http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=2#board

Type unit. But im not sure what wire needs to be what needs to on the constant and switched sides and why.

Comment

how about this

Comment

If your fuse box has more than one fuse (like some of the early bikes), it will likely have either four or five fuses.

One of those fuses is the MAIN, the rest are LIGHTS, SIGNALS and IGNITION.

The MAIN fuse will supply power from the battery to the bike before the engine is started.
          After the engine is started and the stator and R/R are supplying power, current through the MAIN fuse is going the other way to charge the battery.

The LIGHTS fuse obviously powers the lights, as in headlight, tail light and insturment panel illumination.

The SIGNALS fuse powers the turn signals, brake light, horn and warning lights (oil, neutral, side stand, etc.).

The IGNITION fuse powers the coils and ignitor, also supplies power to the starter solenoid when the starter button is pushed.

Wiring:

If you stretch them out in a straight line, the components are arranged thusly:
          Battery -- MAIN fuse -- ignition switch -- the other 3 fuses -- the rest of the bike.

You obviously need constant power to feed the ignition switch, but it needs to be fused, therefore the MAIN fuse.
          You don't want EVERYTHING to be live all the time, therefore the switched fuses that are turned on by the ignition switch.

Hopefully this will help some.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 82 GS400 only has 1 fuse.

Comment

Yes thats were i started but i find the pictures and explanation hard to grasp.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Hopefully this will help some.
              Yes it did. With that little bit of extra info it made it all come together. How ever as SVooke pointed out I only have one fuse on my model. That explains why it only shows the 1 on the diagram.

If thats the case is it worth making any modifications to this fuse? Maby going to an inline spade rather than glass?

Also i dont think i have ever know a vehicle to only have one fuse whats the reason for this design does it not remove an element of protection for some components?

Comment

Well this clears things up. Thanks for your help guys. Now im clear on this. And if i want to add additional 12v accessories such as USB/Cig Lighter or other things I will just wire one of these into the Battery(with inline fuze) and to a switched wire

Comment

Looks like a decent unit. You are correct, supply fuse power to that box, then use one of your switched fuse leads (I would suggest the SIGNALS fuse) to trigger your AUX panel.

Be careful how much you connect to that AUX panel, there is not a whole lot of reserve power on your GS.

EDIT: I thought that panel looked familiar, found that it is the FUZEBLOCKS unit.
                  Just thought you might like to know that, while Twisted Throttle is a great company that carries great products, they are charging quite a bit for that panel. Granted, the $115 they are charging also includes a bike-specific wiring harness, but there is a VERY good chance they won't have a harness for your GS. If you get the FUZEBLOCKS unit, their cost is $84.

If you would like to consider a few alternates, Eastern Beaver has their PC-8 panel that works quite well. The price for the basic panel is $60, if you supply your own relay, or they can supply a harness (in various lengths) for $15-25. I have installed the Eastern Beaver box on a couple of my bikes, I will be doing the rest as I can.

If that is still too much money, you can get a simple distribution panel from many sources for about $35 and add your own relay. You can probably also find even cheaper panels ($12) at Auto Zone and similar stores.

Last edited by Steve; 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Looks like a decent unit. You are correct, supply fuse power to that box, then use one of your switched fuse leads (I would suggest the SIGNALS fuse) to trigger your AUX panel.

Be careful how much you connect to that AUX panel, there is not a whole lot of reserve power on your GS.

Yea dont worry I have no plans to add anything ATM. Plus if my LED Head light plans go through i should have some spare.

Whats the maximum size flat screen i could wire in? 36 or think i could push at 46? lol

Comment

Originally posted by GS(X)400 View Post
                      Whats the maximum size flat screen i could wire in? 36 or think i could push at 46? lol
                      That depends on your height.

If you are vertically-challenged, you might want to stick with the 36.

If you are taller, like me, the 46 is fine.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X