82 450TZ blown main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 450TZ blown main fuse

Having issues with a 82 GS450TZ. Had a dead battery so I threw on some jumper cables to get is running and blew the main fuse. So now I'm trying to track down the problem.

Symptoms:
    Turn key on and the fuse will blow.
    Turn key on w/ kill switch to 'OFF' fuse does not blow.

Disconnected starter relay; disconnected stator wires; disconnected the two ignition coils. Fuse will still blow.

Any suggestions on what else to disconnect/check?

i had an issue like this on my 550, i know 2 different machines, but i had a pinched wire underneath the rear cowlen/box and it kept blowing a fuse everytime i got above idle, might be a pinched wire somewhere, just follow the whole harness and take your time, stuff like this can be really simple or really hard. alot of the time its like playing wheres waldo with wiring

Comment

Might be a silly suggestion but could you have replaced the main fuxe with a smaller rated one than was on previously?

Comment

Mr Basscliff has lovely colored wiring diagrams to decipher suzuki electrics

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Might disconnected all the wires that should be inside headlight, then start plugging back together one at a time and see if one blows fuse when you reconnect, should at least tell you what or where the short is. Had similar problem with my wife's 450 and it turned out had a short in one of the wires inside tail light, so you may have to disconnect everything and plug in one at a time till fuse blows. terrylee

Comment

Seems to be ignition control unit. When unplugged the short went away. How to test?

Used is $150.

Comment

Seems to be ignition control unit. When unplugged the short went away. How to test?
              The service manual has a procedure to test it.

Comment

Working...
              X