A few wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few wiring questions

So I was fixing to re-wire my 650, and came across a few oddities. If anyone can catch what may have been modified, please let me know. There are a hell of a lot of female bullets that have no male recipient as well, just a bunch of dead ends. It ****ed me off so much I just went home for the day and here I am. I had the wiring diagram with me, but didnt help too much.

Just wondering if this looks right... I am rewiring it and pretty much doing it blind but... It looks correct

Think I should replace the R/R? It looks pretty ratty but I don't really have too much money to be putting in the bike yet.

This is where the oddity starts. This wire is just frayed and has no end. I cannot find the wire it was cut from, or where it went. Anyone have an idea on why it is like this? Maybe a PO modified it for some reason like this.

This blue wire is going into the main harness. It comes up with a part of wiring from the bottom of the motor, to which I cannot find the connector for... It is probably just near the front since I just barely started wiring it.

So, now I pretty much know the wiring was edited by a PO. Damn.

Physical apperance of R/R is no indication of its functionality.
    ANy known charging problems?

Any known electriucal problems?

What is cause of you wanting to rewire?

I assume the couple of ground wires (black/white) are loose because you ahve battery out and solenoid off the battery box.

I was going to comment on various wires based on my expereince with 850G & 1100G, but I understand that the 650s are not as same as most other models. And I dont have a 650 schematic readily available.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

OK, we are going to need some better pictures or at least a description of the colors on the wires in question.

The single blue wire is your neutral light. It goes from the instrument cluster, alongside that connector that is also in the picture (those are the wires for the gear position indicator lights) down to the gear position indicator selector that is inside the cover over the front sprocket.

The R/R can look as "ratty" as it wants, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is what the voltage numbers look like.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Physical apperance of R/R is no indication of its functionality.
        ANy known charging problems?

Any known electriucal problems?

What is cause of you wanting to rewire?

I assume the couple of ground wires (black/white) are loose because you ahve battery out and solenoid off the battery box.

I was going to comment on various wires based on my expereince with 850G & 1100G, but I understand that the 650s are not as same as most other models. And I dont have a 650 schematic readily available.

Sorry about the crap pictures, will take better ones and I will try to use the wiring diagram and point out which wire was frayed when I get around to it tonight. In all honestly, I am just trying to see if I have the correct way to put the fuse box/R&R together and if the wires looked correct(ish) or were just repaired/modified. But, I should probably just shut up study the (colored) wiring diagram for a few days more and re-try.

Charging problems: None as of yet, havent gotten it running (longer than 30 seconds).
        Electrical issues: Only ones I know of before disassembling the bike was 1) The starter button/killswitch did not function (replaced) 2) The high beam switch did not work (it did turn the light on, just not to high beam)
        Cause of rewire: None, I just pulled the harness to clean connectors and check out the status of the wiring. It looks like the wiring may have been previously repaired but worked perfectly before pulling it apart to inspect/recondition bullets. Sorry about the confusion of the wording I used

Update: Found that along with the neutral indicator light (blue wire) is the female connector for the gear indication panel... Which is not on the bike Makes a lot of sense now, as well as the lots of bullets not connected as I do not have the speedo/tach on the bike... I may want to put those back on so I am not confusing myself. I will try to get to it tomorrow with the COLORED diagram. the black and white one in the manual is a nightmare for me. I am definitely going to be printing multiple diagrams for the bike... Still cannot get that frayed wire pinned to the color though.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

This critter has seen some salt air! The "frayed wire" your finger is pointing to is at the ignitor plug (connects ignitor and coils). The colored wiring diagram will be much easier to follow. Your R/R is likely original
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
            So, now I pretty much know the wiring was edited by a PO. Damn.
            Hard to say for sure without more info, but this looks like your stator connection. Assuming it is, I strongly advise you to rewire the charging system to run your stator wires directly into the R/R and bypass the factory harness completely. Tons of threads on this exact topic so don't want to rehash again here. Also, make sure your R/R has a solid ground directly to the frame or battery, not the battery box or mounting plate.

The factory Suzuki service manual has a wiring diagram. Please learn to read it. Info such as wire color details will help you learn what components you are dealing with.

Good luck
            Last edited by Nessism; 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              This critter has seen some salt air! The "frayed wire" your finger is pointing to is at the ignitor plug (connects ignitor and coils). The colored wiring diagram will be much easier to follow. Your R/R is likely original
              It definitely has! Picked it up within a mile or two of the runway of LAX I realized all I had at the moment was the wiring diagram in the manual which was... well, not too useful. So I will put a colored digram on the wall and tape one to the bike

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Hard to say for sure without more info, but this looks like your stator connection. Assuming it is, I strongly advise you to rewire the charging system to run your stator wires directly into the R/R and bypass the factory harness completely. Tons of threads on this exact topic so don't want to rehash again here. Also, make sure your R/R has a solid ground directly to the frame or battery, not the battery box or mounting plate.

The factory Suzuki service manual has a wiring diagram. Please learn to read it. Info such as wire color details will help you learn what components you are dealing with.

Good luck
              Thanks Nessim. Indeed it was the stator connection after further studying of the diagram. I am assuming the wires were frayed or in disrepair and the PO patched them up. A lot of the wiring is re-wrapped and some wires actually look brand new.

I will definitely bypass the main harness and run the R/R wires directly to the stator as well as ground the R/R on the frame (or battery, I drew it out but forgot the length of the wire, it should have reach). I will also clean up the R/R just for my own sanity. As an added bonus, I will be trying to relocate the battery, R/R, etc for aesthetics sake.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X