How to take apart turn signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to take apart turn signals?

I just acquired a whole bunch of parts. Some of these include some chrome rectangular turn signals....the back (cup part) and the stem. They are separate but no inside (guts) parts came with them. I have lots of lenses.

I want to be able to take the two black ones I have that are together apart and use the insides for the chrome ones.

I have lots of chrome pieces but only two black ones. I have no other original lights on two of my bikes.

I can't seem to get the inside parts on the stem and the inside of the cup apart where the light bulb plugs into..... I don't want to break it.

Any suggestions?

I am still looking for a few other insides if anyone has any.....
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Dont suppose you have any picts or possiably a link to that type of signal? would like to try and help but not sure what signals or parts of you are talking about.
    Some of them have a hollow threaded rod through the center with plastic chrome, or metal parts on outside. Is there a nut? Asol comes with a rubber stopper to keep moisture out? The wires wont pull easy with stopper in place.

Comment

David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

As you can see from the pics....I have lots of shells and stems but I need the insides from the black ones. I dont' have enough of those to make a set....Any help is greatly appreciated...
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

David, let me take a look at the set from an 81 1000G Flyboy has in my basement while I'm at work tomorrow and I'll get back to you.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Depending on if you want single or double element bulbs, you can get almost anything with a bulb socket at the auto parts and swap the socket into the shells. Ive done it plenty of times. You may have to take some sheet metal and fashion some fastetners or what ever but its doable.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

beware the plus wattage on that!

Comment

The wattage isnt effected by the socket..its effected by the bulb..and most automotive sockets are well rated to suit the job he needs them to do.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  David, let me take a look at the set from an 81 1000G Flyboy has in my basement while I'm at work tomorrow and I'll get back to you.
                  Thanks so much for taking a look.....

Chuck,

That may be an option. I was just hoping to make use of all the parts that I recently acquired.

I appreciate the input gentlemen.
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

How did you manage to get the turn signals off the bike in the first place? I can't get them to come off. Ha.

Thanks.

Comment

Maybe this will be of help to you, maybe not

Figured it out! The inner rod is threaded on both sides, and with a little finesse you can wiggle it loose enough to fit a clamp to hold while you twist the nut off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
                        No but thanks. These are different...
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
                          I tried looking at it again and decided to try a little more force while I had vice grips on the shaft at the bottom. It did almost seem like the plastic was going to crack but it just bent the metal bulb shroud. It was rusted..surprise...surprise.

Mine was not setup with a nut but it did have threads on both sides. My bad. I thought you were talking about a different setup.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                          X