Small footprint fuseblock from autosalvage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small footprint fuseblock from autosalvage

Have any of you guys checked out old cars to see if you can harvest lectrical bits.

On late 90s GM products the relay block for the lights, fuel pump etc is a 3x2 inchish block about three inches deep.

Go to a salvage yards and you will likely be able to walk away with the 6 relay block plus relays for far cheap.

They harvest the looks for copper but I am sure there is always a nice donor in may systems waiting to get its bits plucked.

As many of the relays are constantly witched on and sit unprotected on the fender you know they are quality stuff. Most if not all but a few outlive the cras they are in with plenty of service life left. I am not one to unfairly paint all of Chinese cheap parts as sub par but I would rather have an expensive proven relay in my modded loom than some of the rickety looking bits out there for sale that say made in China on the label.

I have been using a bag of Bosch relays from some old Opels I parted out on various bike projects for twenty years now. Good relays, I have yet to have one fail.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, I have piles of relays, bolts and electrical components from cars.

People act like their too "good" to go to a junkyard, or they wanna waste money and buy brand new stuff. My goal is to get the job done for cheap, or free.

Comment

I find it a bit odd that those "marine" fuse blocks are popular. Maybe there is extra capacity for more wiring but there is a premium to psy.

Comment

Working...
        X