Who's replaced their fuse block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's replaced their fuse block?

My stock block is on its way out. So I headed over to BassCliff's site and read up on the replacement/upgrade to a bladed fuse block. I'm not electrically inclined, but got the gist of it. What I am having trouble with is finding a suitable blade fuse block to use. If you've done the upgrade what block did you use (model name/number) and where did you get it?

Thanks!

Are you planning on moving it? You know things are really tight on the 1100E models.

Comment

Ya. I was hoping to find one that would fit near the stock location. I found a couple, but they aren't made the same way as the stock block.

Comment

Well, I haven't done it on a GS, but I DID replace the stock 3-fuse block on my old '75 Honda CB360T. I just picked up 3 in-line fuse holders at the local Advance Auto parts and spliced 'em right in their proper places. They use 'normal' blade-type automotive fuses. A 25-amp for the main, then a 15-amp for headlamp and 10-amp for tail/dash lights.

Done and done, and no more fuse block issues...

Kirk

Comment

As long as you get one that has a cover to keep water out you should be fine.

If i was doing it (I only have 1 fuse to im replacing that with an inline mini)
          I would do with somthing like this. Keeps it all neat

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
            My stock block is on its way out. So I headed over to BassCliff's site and read up on the replacement/upgrade to a bladed fuse block. I'm not electrically inclined, but got the gist of it. What I am having trouble with is finding a suitable blade fuse block to use. If you've done the upgrade what block did you use (model name/number) and where did you get it?

Thanks!

What made you decide it is on is way out?

On some of these boxes there is a flat back panel that comes off. Once that is off, you remove and clean up the contacts, then reassemble for continued use.

I have not done this on an E, and I am not sure if the boxes are the same, but that worked on the G and GK.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Here is my after market, blade type fusebox.
              It does not have to be the same as the one that comes off, mine was not, just wire it appropriately.
              The wires are still a mess as it is work in progress rebuilding the harness from scratch, but will be nice and neat once done.

Comment

Put one off a 83 750 in my 78 1000

Had to make a plate as the 1000 mounts where no where near close enough.

Wires are all the same so it was pretty easy.

Comment

argonsagas- The fuse holders are pulling away from the block, and wiggle (opening he circuit) both by hand and over a large bump. I might be able to repair it somehow and clean out all the corrosion, but Steve and I were under the impression that it's time has come. AT blade fuses are just more readily available. However I guess I could carry an assortment of AG's in the boot...

Flyboy- Looks exactly like the one I found and was considering. The issue I had with it was the wires exiting parallel to the road (left/right, not up/down). I was worried that it would take up too much space. Otherwise it's the perfect choice.

SVSookie- That looks good! I like the fact it even spells out which fuse is for what. Do you know when they made the jump from AG to AT? Did it start in '83? What about an '82? Was it similar on alll the GS models '83 and on? Looks like I might be shopping around for a fuse block off a GS, THANKS!
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
                    argonsagas- The fuse holders are pulling away from the block, and wiggle (opening he circuit) both by hand and over a large bump. I might be able to repair it somehow and clean out all the corrosion, but Steve and I were under the impression that it's time has come. AT blade fuses are just more readily available. However I guess I could carry an assortment of AG's in the boot...

Flyboy- Looks exactly like the one I found and was considering. The issue I had with it was the wires exiting parallel to the road (left/right, not up/down). I was worried that it would take up too much space. Otherwise it's the perfect choice.

SVSookie- That looks good! I like the fact it even spells out which fuse is for what. Do you know when they made the jump from AG to AT? Did it start in '83? What about an '82? Was it similar on alll the GS models '83 and on? Looks like I might be shopping around for a fuse block off a GS, THANKS!
                    I have no idea when the switch was made.I have an extra box here but not the connector that goes with it.

Comment

Not "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination, but I have installed the Eastern Beaver box on two of my bikes. Two down, three to go.

You can read about one of the installs HERE.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That Eastern Beaver is a nice unit. I have seen an install (not Steve's) and it is nicely crafted and designed. An easy install, although I don't think it will fit in the GS1100E location without some finagling.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          That Eastern Beaver is a nice unit. I have seen an install (not Steve's) and it is nicely crafted and designed. An easy install, although I don't think it will fit in the GS1100E location without some finagling.
                          Hey, you sayin' mine was not a clean install?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

A rider brought his Wee Strom over to Brian's one time and displayed it for all to see. He was a twit but the Eastern Beaver unit was quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Not "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination, but I have installed the Eastern Beaver box on two of my bikes. Two down, three to go.

You can read about one of the installs HERE.

So are we talking the $60 unit/kit or am I missing something? That's about $45 more than the other fuse blocks I found, but if it's the superior solution, then the money's worth it.

Then again the 750 fuse block referenced above seems like a pretty slick solution too.

Comment

Working...
                              X