Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR wiring question - 1150

Hello again,
    I am taking some advice and checking over the wiring on my 84 1150.
    It looks as if the miss on #2 is a bad plug, it was sparking, but from the insulator to the outer housing, never seen that before.. new plugs tomorrow.
    I did not measure the ohms to ground, but have removed the battery cable at the motor and cleaned it well, but it did not look bad.
    Will check the starter motor connects tomorrow, as it is not consistant.
    The wires from the little RR go into a loom / harness, so not easy to check the + & -ve connects so I am planning to splice in another ground directly to the battery and the same with the +ve, which I gather should be fused?
    Q1. Is this a good strategy?
    Tomorrow I will check the stator resistances and the ac volts when it is running again, but to date it has kept the battery charged okay.
    Q2. A "Compufire" is in its future, but what is considered to be the best stator?
    I do not intend to rebuild / restore the whole bike, but it must be as reliable as possible for a 28yr old machine..
    Many thanks in advance
    Trevor
    Durham ON

Hi,

See the "mega-welcome" link in your other thread.

Clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire bike. Corrosion and resistance causes heat which is very bad for charging system components.

I've had less than satisfactory experiences with RMStator and Electrosport stator parts. I've had good experiences with Rick's Electric and Caltric stators.

I have my r/r grounded directly to the battery. I have my r/r output connected directly to the battery through an inline fuse. I also have the stator outputs connected directly to the r/r inputs. You bypass a lot of old wiring harness this way. On a really clean wiring harness this modification is not so critical, but you do want to keep your r/r ground off of lousy ground points like the battery box. Do some research on posplayr's "common ground point" system. See the electrical section of my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I'm in the process of replacing my stator also. I got one from rmstator.com off of ebay. after installing it I get continuity to ground from all three leads. After starting the bike no 60v between two of the leads. I did connect it and run it before doing these tests. But after starting the bike charge we 11.6v so I checked the stator. Is there anything that could have fried the stator that fast. The R/R tests good although it is an old OEM one. You mention connecting the stator directly to the battery. are there instructions somewhere for this?

Comment

That sparking is almost certainly a spark plug boot going bad. Sounds like time to replace.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by prpldude View Post
          You mention connecting the stator directly to the battery. are there instructions somewhere for this?
          I'm sorry, I was typing too fast in my previous post. The r/r output can go directly to the battery positive, the r/r ground directly to the battery negative. The three stator output wires should connect directly to the three r/r input wires. (I have edited my previous post.) You will find "how to" guides and diagrams on my website.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X