No power in my 79 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power in my 79 GS850

Well my battery went bad, so i was using the kick start (bout a month) till i could get enough money for a new one. When i was moving backward after i started it one moring, imoved ten feet or turned the bars and it died. It has no power to anything. I was also wondering, is there more than just one fuse on this bike? Any help would be great, i have only had the bike a few months and really like it when it runs.

Originally posted by 850gs79 View Post
    Well my battery went bad, so i was using the kick start (bout a month)...... I was also wondering, is there more than just one fuse on this bike? Any help would be great, i have only had the bike a few months and really like it when it runs.
    Yes, they are easier to like when they run, but even easier when they run well- that's where maintenance comes in! Head to the link below and start reading. Yes there should be at least 4 fuses

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Fuese are
      Headlight 10A
      Signal 10A (instrument, tail light ectera)
      Ingition 10A (and starter solenoid)
      Main 15A
      and (not sure about 79) an Auxilary 10A (terminals on bottom of the fuse block).
      SHould say something like that on fuse box cover.

When battery was low and you had to kick start it, it may not be so much that battery is weak, but maybe the charging system not working to charge the battery. And all this time operating on just the battery, untill ran the battery completly flat.

Will need a voltmeter to figure this out.

Get a battery charger (1 amp or 1 1/2 amp) and charge the battery (for hours) to get it run again.
      Then get volt meter to check charging system.
      Measure battery voltage with bike off (12 or just over), and measure again with engine running at about 4000 rpm. SHould be mid to upper 13 near 14 volts.

One fun part of having old bike is maintaining it, and sometimes haveing to fix things. Other option is to have new bike with monthly payments and high insurance payments also.

Last edited by Redman; 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

well thank you two. My fuse box had all the words scratched off it. I did not realize that it had fuses in it. New main fuse and she fired right up thanks for the help.

Comment

You should go thru the stator papers and redo the connections BEFORE you have problems. The 79 has a 12 pole stator...

Comment

Working...
          X