Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burned up my 78 100's wiring,fix or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burned up my 78 100's wiring,fix or replace?

It seems the horn wire in the left pod on my 78 1000 got pinched and caused the ground wire to do this damage:

Pretty much written this off as not worth saving.Pity as mostly it seems OK.Here's what it did in the harness:

The harness wiring doesn't look as bad but a bunch of wires have had they're insulation fused together.I'm not sure I trust the harness after this kind of stress.Am I just being paranoid?
    Edit:fogot a 0 in my title
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM.

hmmm, its only a small part of the loom itself so i would be tempted to repair it rather than replace the whole loom.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I would go for a fix as well.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+3, me too, fix.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'm starting to think you guys a right.Even found a solution for the pod:

Found this 79 4000 pod in my parts stash.I looks different than the 78 pod so I'm going to solder the wires into the 78 stuff.Yes all the wires go to the same places so it looks like my $0 solution.Got a 83 750 harness I've already been cannibalising for connectors so I have a source for wires to.

Comment

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the negative (Black/White) wire coming off the light turn signal unit.

My black/white wire melted the plastic isolation when I applied the starter...heats up very hot to the touch when I press the starter button.

I noticed the wire harness underneath the tank, there were two wires broken...the green and black/white...

I've reconnected everything, resoldered and will slide a shrink wrap over everything and see if that corrects the problem...

Are wiring harnessess available? Or do guys just make them up themselves?

Dave

My think is? The black and black/white...

Comment

Hummmm.............this one burned up as I was appying the starter to check if I had sparks.I was just going to ask here to get a used harness,OEM is NLA.

Comment

I ended up getting a replacement harness.In the process of putting it on I think I MIGHT know what happened to the first harness.Was messing around with the horns and harness and I found a frame ground,had a .Went in to check the old harness,there's 2 grounds!!.Thinking either I put one in the wrong place of missed one entirely.I put both to the frame this time.Think I'm on the right track here?

Comment

The horn is constant hot, the ground is switched to actuate it.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                  X