Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 gs550 starter, do the carbs have to come off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs550 starter, do the carbs have to come off?

i have a 78 gs550. the starter needs rebuilt, do the carbs have to come off? the reason i ask is because the boots from the air cleaner are hard as a rock and will have to be cut...

Yes, the carbs need to come off on a 550. Order up some new airbox boots and make yourself happy.

While you are at it, your intake boots (on the other side of the carbs) are probably just as hard. Order new ones there, too.

The airbox boots are usually about $15 each, the intake boots are about $25, so plan on about $160-175 for all new boots.

Since you are taking the carbs off, have you ever cleaned them and treated them to new o-rings? A new set of o-rings for the carbs and the intake boots only adds about $15 to the project.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve! call me ocd, but i want to make sure i have all the parts on hand before i start a project... lol i guess i just stick to the kick start till winter... lol

Comment

Working...
      X