How to hot wire a 78 GS 1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to hot wire a 78 GS 1000?

I am in the middle of diagnosing a non cranking 78 GS100 after a stator replacement. Stator was grounding on the corner of the starter through worn, now burned wires.

All the contacts look good in the starter button, and the motor. Bike won't crank. One suggestion is to try a hot wire by bridging a screwdriver across the starter solenoid positive and negative. I have done this many times on older trucks, but never on a bike. Advice is welcome.

as easy as you say,bridge the 2 posts out on the solenoid. make sure the bike is in neutral.
    oh and its not pos. and neg. one is a pos. feed from the battery, the other is a pos. feed to the starter motor
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If I remember right you can also cross a couple of the wires coming from the ignition right at the connector is the easiest, the red and green ones I think but don't quote me on the colours
      Last edited by azr; 09-26-2012, 01:26 AM.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        as easy as you say,bridge the 2 posts out on the solenoid. make sure the bike is in neutral.
        oh and its not pos. and neg. one is a pos. feed from the battery, the other is a pos. feed to the starter motor
        This is correct. All you are doing is bypassing the solenoid, and it can be done with the key OFF or ON. OFF proves the function of the starter motor, ON attempts to start the engine.

Comment

Bridging the solenoid posts with key off, the starter motor doesn't move. Nothing with key on either. Does that indicate a bad starter?

I have a spare ready to go.

Comment

take the cable off the solenoid post that comes from the battery and touch it on the other post with the cable that goes to the starter. that gives you a direct 12v feed to the starter. if it dont spin now, the starter is faulty.
            make sure the battery is fully charged and grounded properly to the engine
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
              Bridging the solenoid posts with key off, the starter motor doesn't move. Nothing with key on either. Does that indicate a bad starter?
              No, it merely proves the starter is not working.

Why it's not working is still to be determined.

Could be a bad connection from the wire to the starter.
              Could be a bad connection from the starter to the engine case (ground).
              And finally, yeah, it could be a bad starter.

Last edited by Steve; 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tap on the starter with a hammer and see what happens..it may just be stuck. Secondly, recheck that the connector gear under the cover isnt jammed and stopping the starter from cranking.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X