Unessary wireing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unessary wireing?

Sure this is a stupid question, and thinking i already know the answer.
    Did a very limited search but kinda lazy and thinking this would be easier.

Ok to ground turn signals on frame and not bother with reconnect ground to harness?
    What else can i run somewhere other then harness with a very limited budget? (as in none)

Already started disconnecting everything as was convinced to use PJ1 chain lube and its all over everything. No chain guard Good thing i wrapped all wires in slit plastic conduit a few years back.

Doing some work on my 750 and what was going to be a simple valve adjustment has turned into (lets take everything but the motor off clean, inspect and see what we can improve)

Another quick question. Anybody ever use liquid tape and if so what did you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
      Another quick question. Anybody ever use liquid tape and if so what did you think of it.
      Use it all the time in marine applications. Takes several coats to get it thick enough. Just hope you never need to take the connection apart. For the bikes I use shrink tubing over soldered connections.

Comment

Thank you Whitedog!
        Starting slow this time with the hope of replacing most of wires someday seen the various threads on soldering with shrink tube. Thought of that but was going to do the quick and dirty.
        But if need to reapply a few times the shrink tube seems like actual quick and dirty. Will go that route.
        Once again Thank You

Comment

I am assuming that you are concerned with the turn signals on the rear, as there shouldn't be very much PJ1 on the wiring for the front signals.

Yes, you can ground them to the frame with no problem. However, since the ground wire is already there in the harness, and it has all the proper connectors on it, what is the incentive to re-wire the signals' grounds?

If you choose to re-wire the grounds, you will have to extend the wire a bit and find a convenient spot to attach the extended wire (which should have a new terminal on it). I am thinking it would be MUCH easier to just use the current wiring.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes. Frame grounds for the signals are not much of a saver. You should dump the stator leg through the handle bars and tie it directly to the RR. There is also a brown wire that dead ends in front for running lights. That can go.

If you don't want the gear indicator, that will shed 5 more wires.

Comment

Steve, That is what i wanted to confirm.

Will agree on everything said.

My reasoning?

So many wires in there and want to eventually replace everything with new.

Have some that were burnt when first purchased bike, have shortened to attach new connectors, but still need replaced as i don't trust wires even after 7 or so years of owning bike.

Hoping to do a few things to bike in coming month and have added replacing the wires that are weaker to my list. (were burnt)

Would really like to replace most of harness but i am not prepared to take in one bite.

To me less wires-clutter is simpler to replace in the long term.

Was thinking would be easy to tack a nut on crosspiece of frame (holds rear fender) with easy access to clean or remove wires/connector.

Maybe i had to much sugar today?

Thank You Steve

Comment

MisterCinders

I think i recall the brown wire from time i crashed bike and had to replace headlight assembly.

I hope i have a piece of tape around it and didn't attach to anything

Thinking its wrapped in tape.

Just did a advanced search using startor leg rr as keywords without any luck.

Will try the GSR bible (Basecliffs site) and see if i can find it there.

Gear indicator didn't even cross my mind, great idea but may try and just wrap them up and stow somewhere out of the way.(if i ever have to sell next owner might like to have them.

Thank You for the info Mister Cinders.

Comment

Here is all you need on grounding the R/R and wiring the stator.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

IN there you'll see the bit about the stupid wiring from the Stator through the headlight switch back to the R/R. Dump that run and connect all three stator wires directly to the R/R.

Comment

Thank you Mister Cinders
                    Looked on Basecliffs site after last post by me, saw a little on it in RR replacement still wasn't getting it.

Went to save and realized I already had.

Have probably read that PDF a dozen times and not remembered that part.

With that link and the pictures provided by Posplayr and the question posed by Nessism and others i now understand.
                    Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X