GS850GLZG turn key - no starter function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GLZG turn key - no starter function

Problem: Turn the key, battery new, charged, lights come on, bike in neutral, side stand up. pull in clutch, push the starter button...nothing happens. No click, nothing completely dead.

History: Previous owner put a honda? voltage regulator on it, it fried and had some pretty cobbled wiring but everything worked. I replaced it with an Electrosport ESR100 regulator/rectifier and I also replaced the stator with one from electrosport. When I turn the key, the headlight lights, the neutral light lights, every block in the fusebox gets power when the key is turned, but nothing happens.

I am not 100% sure I wired everything back up correctly because I had to remove the battery box to remove the original regulator on the bottom of the box and I tossed the honda? one that was bolted to the side of the box. All the wires are accounted for, but a new yellow wire with green stripes ( I know about the OEM wire that comes from the starter relay and that one checks out.... BUT when I last ran the bike before replacing the bad regulator, something unidentified smoked. I assumed it was the regulator...but could I have cooked something else. Does anyone have any clues? Any pictures of a GS *%) wired correctly with the electrosport parts? I would appreciate any help...Im not riding and its killing me. nOt to mention my brain hurts from thinking about solving this issue.

Comment

turn the key on and put a screw driver across the two large post on the starter relay see if the starter spins.

Comment

"but a new yellow wire with green stripes ( I know about the OEM wire that comes from the starter relay and that one checks out.."

What checks out? Is this wire still attached to starter relay? It runs to starter button which gets its power from kill switch
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I tried bridging the gap on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and the I got the same result. Nothing happened....well something happened, it sparked quite a bit, but no action from the starter. Am I safe to assume I've somehow grounded out the starter hot wire from the solenoid, or that the starter croaked?

The yellow/green wire runs from the starter relay to the kill switch...confirmed with ohm meter.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X