noob with stupid question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob with stupid question?

Hi there. First off, I have to say I love this forum, very informative. With that said. I just received a 1978 gs 1000 from a widow. Her husband, the previous owner of the bike, hasn't registered the bike since 2001. So I assume it hasn't ran since then. The widow doesn't know any info on the bike as she married him after the bike was last running. So anyway, I've noticed that he had been tinkering with the bike at one point as a few bolts and things had been missing/disconnected. My question is ,if anybody is still reading this at this point, is that with the key on, and powered by an external jumper box, I'm not getting power to any lights, horn, switches, starter, etc. Ive checked the fuses on the right side of the bike, five of them, and all are good. after pulling the carbs, which I will be rebuilding after I rectify the electrical problems, I jumped the starter to see if the engine even cranks, which it does. I've pulled the headlight and evrything seems to be connected except for one solid brown wire with a clear connector. what might that connector be for? And what might be the cause of said lack of power? I'm sorry if this issue has been covered before. I have been searching the threads and haven't found anything relating to My issue. Please help. I'm pulling my hair out here...

Your '78 came with only one fuse, which runs everything. If you have more fuses, someone has changed things around. Making sure this was done right might be a good place to start.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Head to Basscliff's site for some typical wiring layouts- he doesn't seem to have your exact model/year but he has similar which are a big help in following a Suzuki's wiring scheme. Like this one......
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Your '78 came with only one fuse, which runs everything. If you have more fuses, someone has changed things around. Making sure this was done right might be a good place to start.

My 78 GS1000 has four fuses,
        MAIN 15A
        HD LAMP 10A
        SIGNAL 10A
        IGNITION 10A

Change them all out even if they look good.

1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

How did you connect the jumper box? Why not just hook up a battery, or charge the one you have? You can get a powered continuity tester for about $7 and start tracing wires. First, make sure you actually have a power source. To have a total failure like that requires either (a) blown fuses; (b) a bad or missing connection at the battery; (c) a bad connection at the ignition switch denying any power to the rest of the system.

Edit - If shorting the solenoid spun the motor (did you hand crank the engine before doing that? or are you just lucky as hell?), then you have a power source. There are usually two connections from the battery + terminal, the starter (which you confirmed) and the ignition switch, which then MIRVs juice to the rest of the bike. You have an open in the following sequence:

BATT (+) -> IGN SW -> REST OF BIKE

If you have a fuse block, one fuse is between the BATT and the IGN SW, the rest are wired in beyond the IGN SW (i.e. one wire goes into the block through the 15A fuse and up to the ignition switch, then comes back into the block and MIRVs into the three 10A fuses that wire out to the rest of the bike.

If your bike has the OFTRTA (One Fuse To Rule Them All) system, that fuse should be between the BATT(+) and the IGN SW.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            MAIN 15A
            HD LAMP 10A
            SIGNAL 10A
            IGNITION 10A

You are correct, it's the 750 and smaller with only one fuse.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by munoz View Post
              Please help. I'm pulling my hair out here...
              pull that camera out while you're at it! welcome to forum.

Comment

Munoz,
                There are no stupid questions, just a lot of stupid answers. That's why we have the forum; So you can avoid those!
                Niels

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  MAIN 15A
                  HD LAMP 10A
                  SIGNAL 10A
                  IGNITION 10A

+1. Just because it looks good "visually" and carries continuity, does not necessarily mean that it will carry current. One way to prevent any future 'hiccups' is to upgrade to a blade-style fuse system.

Comment

Working...
                  X