A stupid relay question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stupid relay question.

Is there a difference between a "change over" relay like this one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CAR-AUTO-AUTO...item48487bb0a8
    and a SPST like this? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Automotiv...item3cc5bcdb07

The first one is SPST and looks to have only NC normally closed contacts (closed when not energized). I cant tell if the second one's contacts are NC.

Do you need NC or NO contacts. I don't think I missed it, but you would think the ad would state what you are getting (NC or NO)

I usually just buy the SPDT relays and wire to what I need.
    Like this.

Comment

those appear to be the same

common simple relays are 2 types 4 pin and 5 pin 85-86 are the power contacts and can be either polarity not specific but positive and negative.

a 4 pin is normally open between 2 of the contacts and closed when energized. 87 and 30 are the open and closing contacts

a 5 pin do both Normally open and normally cloesd when energized. and control 2 things at once

there is some debate to the resilliance of relays according to the resistance of the primary coil. 800 ohm seem to be the tough ones.

BOSCH brand -- like a chevrolet caviller lighting relay
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Sorry,I didn't think to say what I was thinking of doing till after I posted and logged off.To be used for a horn relay so I would need a normally open relay

Comment

Some (most) of these relays have both NO and NC contacts, you can go either way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

To somewhat repeat what others have said:
            By change over they mean the there is a Normally Closed contact and a Normally Open contact, and when the coil is powered the normally closed contact opens and the normally open contact closes, I quess someone thought that was "changing over".

SPST: Single pole single throw. Means will be two terminals (in addition to the coil). Typically NO but could be NC.

SPDT: Single Pole double through. Means will be 3 terminals, a common and the NO and the NC. This could be concidered a "change over" I guess.

DPDT: Douple pole double through. Means will be 4 terminals, two for one set of contacts and two for other set of contacts. Each set of contacts could be NO or could be NC.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X