Stator / Voltage Regulator Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator / Voltage Regulator Replacement

I have a 1979 GS-850G. It runs great, but it appears the headlight really varies in intensity through the rev range leading me to think maybe its time for the {much touted} stator/voltage regulator change. As far as I know these are the original units - and since I have made sure my motor in sound and in good "nick" - the electrical system is what is supposed to be the weak link in the GS chain. What's the collective thought on this?

At least do the quick test before you buy anything.

You likely have a 12 pole stator later models went to 18 poles
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Lee View Post
      I have a 1979 GS-850G. It runs great, but it appears the headlight really varies in intensity through the rev range leading me to think maybe its time for the {much touted} stator/voltage regulator change. As far as I know these are the original units - and since I have made sure my motor in sound and in good "nick" - the electrical system is what is supposed to be the weak link in the GS chain. What's the collective thought on this?
      Yah, will dim at idle, increase some at 2000 and increase more from there as go to 3000 or 3500, but should be same from there up to max. So not neccesarily anything wrong. Actaully the fact that brightens when revs from idle tell you the cahrging is working. If it did not brighten - then, you got a problem.

You have a late 70s charging system, and a 30 year old late 70s charging system. Were much better than 50 & 60s charging systems when most bikes didnt have starter motors anyway.

The 80s were a bit better (when also had headlight on all the time, and no kickstarter), but not a lot better.

But, yeah, get a multimeter, and do the charging system check.

Last edited by Redman; 10-15-2012, 12:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
      X