noob needing wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob needing wiring help

hi my name is joe with an 82 gs 1100g my.problem is i undertook somone elses project and the wiring was scatered and is out of the bike the bike had an aero faring on the front. that has since been tossed and now theres a ton of wires in the front i have no clue what they are or where they go. basically what im trying for is a very simple wiring diagram somthing a noob could understand i am turning into a cafe racer and am not running turn signals i basically.want whatever is going to let this monster run thats it bare minimum if anyone could help the would be awesome

It does not get any better than this: Wiring Diagram
    All wires are color coded, leave out the things you don't want.
    I recommend printing it out and having it enlarged to 11x17 color. Works for me.

Comment

thanks very much i am going to give it a try

Comment

Are you building a new harness from scratch? If you are scrubbing out the signals and other "extras," consider picking up a used second harness for your bike.

You can lay that harness out on a board and, using the color diagram, pull the wires for any systems you won't use. Then you can modify the harness to account for any other changes (battery relocation, coil relay, single-point grounding, etc.). Once it's all good, wrap it up and reinstall.

By working on a spare, you can leave the old harness in place for riding or testing the bike, while you take your time cleaning up the new one.

Comment

i was wanting to make one from scratch the guy before me hacked stuff up and i just want to make sure its done right before jumping on riding with bothcie wiring

Comment

Originally posted by rampimpin View Post
            i was wanting to make one from scratch the guy before me hacked stuff up and i just want to make sure its done right before jumping on riding with bothcie wiring
            Sure. I found it easier to refurb a second harness. Cheaper also. By starting with an actual Suzuki harness, you have wires that match the OEM color scheme and are organized and cut to the approximate lengths. Otherwise you end up buying spools of wire colors that may not match the diagram, leave you with loads of excess wire, etc.

The spare harness also gives you connectors that will mate with the systems on the bike. As you clean it up, you can replace just the connectors and wires that are damaged.

Also, you can find a decent used harness for much less than the cost of 20-24 spools of color wire and new connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              Sure. I found it easier to refurb a second harness. Cheaper also. By starting with an actual Suzuki harness, you have wires that match the OEM color scheme and are organized and cut to the approximate lengths. Otherwise you end up buying spools of wire colors that may not match the diagram, leave you with loads of excess wire, etc.

The spare harness also gives you connectors that will mate with the systems on the bike. As you clean it up, you can replace just the connectors and wires that are damaged.

Also, you can find a decent used harness for much less than the cost of 20-24 spools of color wire and new connectors.
              What he said. Matching those colors is crucial to debugging the harness, because, believe it or not, you are going to make mistakes.

Comment

lose all the spagetti take all the wires off

you want minimum? running lights -brake lights - ignition - charging system - and an electric starter.

lit gauges can come later. do 1 thing at a time and it wont be so confusing

I start with the battery and the key switch or main switch your choice. so there is a lot of ways to do it - my way is not the only way. I like to have battery power controlled by a relay. my main switch energizes a simple relay hooking direct power from battery to fuse box. fuse box to everything else.

wire the ignition kill switch in series so you have 2 ways to control the ignition power. .

electric start is the yellow and green tracer wire .you must provide momentary positive power to solenoid - solenoid body has to be grounded.

regulator rectifier - stator - to battery is the most complex circuit and because the weird way suzuki decided to run 1 leg of a 3 leg system thru the left handlebar you have to tidy that up.

if you get this far the head / tail / brake lights will be a snap.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  lose all the spagetti take all the wires off

you want minimum? running lights -brake lights - ignition - charging system - and an electric starter.

lit gauges can come later. do 1 thing at a time and it wont be so confusing

I start with the battery and the key switch or main switch your choice. so there is a lot of ways to do it - my way is not the only way. I like to have battery power controlled by a relay. my main switch energizes a simple relay hooking direct power from battery to fuse box. fuse box to everything else.
                  The only significant power drawn from your battery already uses a relay - the starter solenoid. The rest of your bike should draw power mainly from the R/R, with the battery providing power when the bike is off and/or at low RPM maybe.

I don't follow how another relay for the fuse box would help the system. More voltage for the lights when you start the bike in the dark, I guess.

Comment

Yeah, MC, I don't quite follow that either. Especially with what will essentially be a new wiring harness. We put relays in our systems to make up for 30 years of decay and corrosion.

Comment

Working...
                    X