Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn

OKay, thought while I was rehabing my bike better check the horn. Ah well it doesn't work. So I followed some advice how on maybe to make it work again. It is dead, no reaction at all. I've seen some past recommendations on some horn brands. I'm just using one so I want a good loud one. Hit me with what cha got.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Have you tested the horn itself yet?

Here's how the wiring is laid out: +12 (with ignition on) is supplied to one side of the horn. All the time. The other side finds its way to ground through the horn button. In many cases, it's the latter path that causes problems, since there are many possible sources of resistance / sites for bad connections.

So: A new horn might not help you at all.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

[QUOTE=robertbarr;1759059]Have you tested the horn itself yet?

Here's how the wiring is laid out: +12 (with ignition on) is supplied to one side of the horn. All the time. The other side finds its way to ground through the horn button. In many cases, it's the latter path that causes problems, since there are many possible sources of resistance / sites for bad connections.

So: A new horn might not help you at all.[/QUOTE

Yes I did that, horn does not work. Connections are clean and no frayed or broken wires. I just need a some recommendations on some horn brands.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        OKay, thought while I was rehabing my bike better check the horn. Ah well it doesn't work. So I followed some advice how on maybe to make it work again. It is dead, no reaction at all. I've seen some past recommendations on some horn brands. I'm just using one so I want a good loud one. Hit me with what cha got.
        ...and you can't feel any actuation of the magnet in the horn itself with power applied?

Have you tested it by connecting directly to a battery?

If it's a stock horn and you can feel a clunk, then it's just freezing up and the adjuster screw on the back ought to allow it to vibrate and make noise.

Anyhow, if it's truly dead, the Wolo Bad Boy gets very good reviews from people on the forum and elsewhere.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          ...and you can't feel any actuation of the magnet in the horn itself with power applied?

Have you tested it by connecting directly to a battery?

If it's a stock horn and you can feel a clunk, then it's just freezing up and the adjuster screw on the back ought to allow it to vibrate and make noise.

Anyhow, if it's truly dead, the Wolo Bad Boy gets very good reviews from people on the forum and elsewhere.
          It's kaput...nothing happens with the adjuster screw, no cluck no nothing. even direct to a battery. Noticed Autozone and O'Riley's carry WOLOs.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Okay new horn installed and IT'S LOUD...yeah baby.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hey Great!

Comment

Okay new horn installed and IT'S LOUD...yeah baby.
                Yeah, but what is it?
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  Yeah, but what is it?
                  Aaah yeah sorry bout that, it is a WOLO single High note horn. Plug and play. I was just so excited that I have a horn you can hear now lol.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Aaah yeah sorry bout that, it is a WOLO single High note horn. Plug and play. I was just so excited that I have a horn you can hear now lol.
                    I'm gonna have to investigate my horns on my 1100. They both work but they're not as loud as say my 1000, which is strong. Could be the horn button switch as Robert Barr pointed out earlier. But at least I got an idea of what aftermarket type to get should I have to go that route.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

It's loud with no relay ?
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        It's loud with no relay ?
                        I bought a relay as well, though before I start with the wiring, I tested the horn with out, it was loud! Loud enough it made my ears ring for a bit.
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Yeah. On their site they're advertised as plug and play. So I assume no relay is necessary.
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            Yeah. On their site they're advertised as plug and play. So I assume no relay is necessary.
                            I was looking at the WOLO air horns and they do need a relay or if you use regular hi and lo horn combination. Around these parts too many folks have a weapon in their vehicles and I don't want to startle them into doing something stupid Just want to alert them I'm there so the single high note horn seemed reasonable.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hate to honk my own horn, though I went into the shop when I got into work and had to honk a couple more times
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                              X