Coil tests okay but no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil tests okay but no spark

Hi all, I have just fitted a dyna-s due to my points being pretty worn and bike not running right.

Bike is a 1977 gs550
    I have done the coil relay mod and have good voltage to the coils. I'm not getting spark on spark plug 2 and 3. Did the primary and secondary ohm test on the good and bad coil,both were the same ( can't remember, but I think it was something like 4.8 primary and 26k secondary). Swapped over the black and white wires to eliminate it being a dyna-s ignition fault.

Tested the plug caps... 3 of them had 4.8ohms and one was a dud. Replaced that but still no spark at that coil, trimmed down all leads to eliminate corroded leads etc. Tested the earths and all connections.... every thing fine.

So next, I tried a coil off my bandit motor and hey presto! I have spark at 2 and 3!

So anyway, here's my question: coils tested fine, plug caps good, voltage to coils all correct.. But no spark. Can a coil test as fine,as this one has but still fail to produce spark? I'm no electrical guru so im gonna replace the coils anyway but was wondering if there's some test I have missed that would have shown me what is/ isnt going on with this coil as when tested as above it seemed fine?

Cheers.

Here's some shots of the bike in case anyone's interested:

Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2012, 05:01 AM.

Sure can , as you've found out. The ohm test uses a small current, while the actual ignition blasts it with about 3 or 4 amps- any defect in winding would show up ,i.e. no/poor spark.
    Nice pics, is that a basically open exhaust?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How old are those tires? they have the right look but I would be hesitant on the age.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Sure can , as you've found out. The ohm test uses a small current, while the actual ignition blasts it with about 3 or 4 amps- any defect in winding would show up ,i.e. no/poor spark.
        Nice pics, is that a basically open exhaust?
        Cheers, that makes sense. Will be ordering a new set of coils today. One other thing I forgot to mention is that when I had the original points on it, it did produce spark, but very weak... I guess the dyna-s sends so much more power to the coil that it can't handle it and just doesn't work.

The pipe is a cycle works 4 into 1, it has a baffles up inside it ( just looks like open pipe but without the offensive noise!)

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          How old are those tires? they have the right look but I would be hesitant on the age.
          Those tires are 1 month old. They're Firestone deluxe champions, brand new reproductions of the original.

Comment

Working...
          X