Electriacl questions on a 550E 77 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electriacl questions on a 550E 77 model

Hello there, I have just joined and this is my first post. I am doing a GS550 Bobber bike build. I picked the unfinished project up from another person and am trying to finish it off. I have stripped out all of the wiring and redone it all to function with the new parts he has added. I have everything functioning the way it should but I have a couple of questions.

The factory headlight control switches have been replaced with a late aftermarket one. It has horn, turn and with the headlight it is always on with only the ability to go between high and low beam. This is fine as I would always run with a light on but in the factory one there are two wires which I cant work out what to do with. On the factory schematic they are as follows:
    WHite with red trace from the rectifier to the headlight on off switch
    White with green trace from alternator to headlight on off switch

As i no longer have a headlight on off switch what do I do with them? I am assuming that these wires have something to do with providing extra power from the alternator when the lights are switched on to avoid the light dimming under low power. CAn I put a switch in line and if I need to turn them on to increase power?
    Will my battery charging be affected if these wires are not connected ?
    Any other info would be great.

Also I have the factory gear position indicator and when I hooked it up (it is no longer attached to any guage pod) I have hooked it upwith the nuetral like attached to the new guage. I had an indiactaion of 1,2,3,5. after I ran it throught he gears a few times I then only had 1,3,5. The bike has sat for a while so I am wondering if there may be some bad connections in the box or whether the indicator may be faulty. I would like to use it and was going to mount it just in front of the solo seat. Has anyone had experience with these . Theyare a hard item to locate in Australia ....

Thanks in advance and I will start a build thread soon ,

Cheers
    Shaun

Thanks for that. So if I join the white / red from the rectifier and the white green from the stator I should be ok.

Thnaks for the info on the indicator as well , it is a digital readout one so I can rule out bulbs.Will do what you said when I pull the side covers off the engine.

Cheers

Comment

A 77 GS550 was equipped with a digital (7-segment) indicator.
      You can test the display, by connecting ground to each of the wires.
      If the display unit is defect - you are in trouble
      You might be lucky to find a used one. I have never been able to find a new one from Suzuki or others, and I have searched, without luck, for a suitable replacement.

BR
      Stig
      77 GS550B

Comment

Old Skool,
        Sorry if I am sounding a bit dense. Just want to get this right . I have attached my wiring diagram to try and get this sorted. ( I appreciate the help by the way )

As I mentioned before the white/red goes from the RR to the light on switch - can I join this to the main red that goes to the battery via the fuse?

The white/green goes from the stator/alternator to the light on switch. Do I join this in to the White/ Black or Yellow that goes to the RR
        Ground remains the same.

To check charging do I just go across the battery while not running and then check again whille running or can I test off the stator wires directly

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X