Starter Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Rebuild

A few weeks ago my GS died on me and it turned out the starter motor was jammed. I took it apart and got it running again but a friend recommended getting a replacement motor because my current one will eventually die for good. Is there anything I can do to extend the life of my current starter? Any rebuild guides out there for them?

Originally posted by paulorv View Post
    ..........starter motor was jammed.
    .... Any rebuild guides out there for them?
    How was the starter motor jammed? Internally?
    Or the starter clutch?

DOnt know about rebuild guides, but Can find rebuild kits on Stockers site.
    Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

There's not much to rebuilding a starter motor. You take it apart, clean it up, install new brushes, put it back together. That's about it. You'll find a few pictures in THIS THREAD. (I used the search feature.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        How was the starter motor jammed? Internally?
        Or the starter clutch?

DOnt know about rebuild guides, but Can find rebuild kits on Stockers site.
        Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

Just internally I guess. It wouldn't even spin when connected to a car battery at first, so I took it apart and put it back together and it started working. Found a kit for a reasonable price here, so thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

There's not much to rebuilding a starter motor. You take it apart, clean it up, install new brushes, put it back together. That's about it. You'll find a few pictures in THIS THREAD. (I used the search feature.)

BassCliff
          Thank you BassCliff, the pictures will be extremely useful when I rebuild my starter.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

BassCliff

There is one thing to watch for.....match marks on the cap and the housing.

They should align when the starter cap is reinstalled.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by paulorv View Post
              ..... Found a kit for a reasonable price here, so thanks for that.
              You say you had starter out and apart. So apparently you found you had a two brush starter (Denso).

Mine was a 4 brush (Mitsuba ).

Aside from taking apart and cleaning up and replacing the brushes, you will also want to clean up the commutator bars.
              I put the rotor in drill chuck to spinn it and dressed up the comutator with emery cloth on a paint stirrer stick (any flat thing will do). Carefull not to nick the winding wires.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
              X