Starter and electrics removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter and electrics removal

Hey guys, was wondering how much of the electrical components can I remove if I convert my GS400 1980s to kick start only.
    For whatever reason the starter motor is just free spinning and not cranking, doesn't really worry me as I want it as a kick starter anyway.

So can I remove the starter, starter relay, possibly the battery? In order to tidy it up a bit.
    Or does the battery need to be there to even out the voltage spikes, can you put a capacitor on there instead. Seen a few on eBay, not sure of what to make of it.

Thanks, James.

You can remove the starter, relay and associated wiring, but you'll still need a battery. I'm not sure about capacitors, but you could definitely use a smaller 12V battery, since you won't need the cranking amps required for the starter motor. There are lots of lithium-based small batteries available. Maybe you could adapt a power tool battery to your use.

I have a Ninja 250 with electric start, and it has a (comparatively) tiny lead-acid battery.

Also, keep in mind that starter drives aren't that hard to repair, and you'll be happy to have that thumb button if your bike stalls in traffic.

Comment

Why not just take the stator cover off and see why the starter motor is free-spinning? You might have a bad starter clutch or some other gear is not working like it should.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jave101 View Post
        So can I remove the starter, starter relay, possibly the battery? In order to tidy it up a bit. ......
        James, Welcome to GSR.

You can also remove the starter clutch (behind the left engine cover).
        DO keep all that stuff for resale of bike.

Bye the way, the starter clutch is probably where the problem is that is causing the starter to not engage.

And, yah, if remove starter, then will need only a small battery. Still Need something of a battery because the charging system doesnt put out much at idle.

Do introduce yourself in "Owners". We need a photo in order to give any advice har har har.
        And goto UserCP and put location in profile and bike model in signature line. Then that shows up on every post.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X