Installing heated grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing heated grips

The PO had installed heated Oxford heated grips on my bike. { GSX1100F } but they are wired directly to the battery. As I don't want to wear down the battery if I forget to turn them off. I'd like to wire them to the ignition circuit. The closest and easiest place would be the hot side of the solenoid, and ground on the battery. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    The PO had installed heated Oxford heated grips on my bike. { GSX1100F } but they are wired directly to the battery. As I don't want to wear down the battery if I forget to turn them off. I'd like to wire them to the ignition circuit. The closest and easiest place would be the hot side of the solenoid, and ground on the battery. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way ?
    Garth,

I would add a relay so you still have power to the grips directly from the battery. Have the relay connected to a switched power source and you'll have everything you want.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

How does that work Joe ? I'm electrically challenged. Does the hot side of the solenoid qualify ? I'd prefer something in the area of the battery. I guess the tail light should be around there somewhere.
      By the way, I tried to buy that jacket. They had my chest size, but unfortunately tapered the wrong direction. Hell of a deal.
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

This is about the easiest diagram I have seen.... Replace the lights with your grips obviously!!

The Live on the solenoid is not "Switched" (not controlled by the ignition) so if you just connect up to that then your grips will be on 100% of the time!

Just a FYI - the controllers on those Oxford grips always go bad in my experience. If it does you can replace it with a Warm & Safe controller, these guys sell a kit http://lockitt.com/ - I upgraded when the one on my KLR went bad. I have a friend who had 3 go bad in warranty.

Dan
        Last edited by salty_monk; 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks guys.
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
          X