X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Problems

Hi everybody,

First post here on this forum.
    My 1981 Suzuki GS650G has been sitting in my basement for about a three months, and I was able to start it about a month ago. When it started up last I may have been a bit hard on the starter, holding it down for upwards of 30 seconds. But eventually it reluctantly coughed to life and I was very pleased.

I suppose its also worth mentioning I was running the bike dry before and after storing it. That is to say trying to get all the gas I could out of the carbs by running it till it died. I didn`t want old gas sitting in the carbs, but perhaps full stable would have been the better option?

Anyways I tried to start the bike up a couple days ago. The started turned the engine over for about 15 seconds and then quit. All it does is buzz. I thought the battery might be getting week so I charged it overnight. When I tried it the next day same thing just buzzing with the occasional sound that would lead one to believe it might turn over (a sort of gear rubbing sound).

After that I was still determined to start the bike so I tried push starting it down an adequately steep hill. No luck. I could smell gas being pushed through the carbs when I did it, so I thought it might be the plugs. So I gave the plugs a clean, still nothing. The engine turns over but nothing. Did I destroy my carbs by running the bike dry?

The other thing worth mentioning is its pretty cold where I live right now (about 32 Fahrenheit).

I bought the bike in April and really love it. Put 5000 km's on it this summer without a hint of a problem. Would like to do the same this summer. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Hank

You haven't hurt anything by the cranking or by running the carbs dry. Most likely something is slightly out of tune, choke circuit, valve adjustment, something or some combination of things making it harder to start in colder weather. Maybe your battery is weak, or some wiring is corroded in the starting or ignition system.
    In warmer weather it's easier, so every thing does not have to be as perfect.

Get on Cliff's site, research all of the required maintenance that is usually neglected on older bikes, take your time and do it all, you will have a very nice bike which will fire right up all winter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How did you get bike back up the " adequately steep hill " ? Time to catch up on maintenance as tkent02 said- either that or you will fall out of love for this bike. Probably doesn't need much, so don't feel overwhelmed.
      Best to use Stabil or equivalent for storage- mine will start up quick after months of idleness. Avoid operating the starter motor longer than a 15 second burst- correctly maintained, bike will cold start within 5 seconds with full "choke" applied.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Starter Problems

My two buddies pushed me up. We did this five or six times. I am fully prepared to do the work. I will probably save it for the spring though.
        In regards to the starter, I also thought the battery might just be weak. If it does turn out to be the starter, solenoid? brushes? I understand you can buy starter rebuild kits off ebay, has anyone used any of these before?

I will be sure to check out cilffs website.

In reagards to the storage would dumping some stabil in there now would be my best choice? as I wont be able to get the gas out of the carbs without taking them out. I guess I could even try to push start it a couple more times to get the stabilized gasoline into the carbs.

I'm not about to fall out of love with the bike, I just read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. ha ha ha

Comment

Your battery may be on the way out

Have you been charging it regularly while it's laid up?

Test your voltage at battery

Static

Starter button pushed

Test it at solenoid out put - starter button pushed

Probably nothing wrong with the starter itself if it turns over
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. hcoetze,

It sounds like it's time for some maintenance! Here's your S.W.A.G.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"I'm not about to fall out of love with the bike, I just read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. ha ha ha "

Wow, I think I read that one back in the 60's! good practical advice!
              Anyway, since it's not likely to start, add stabil to tank (extra won't hurt), shake bike around to mix. then drain gas out of all carbs and add to tank; then put petcock on prime and refill carbs- this ain't as good as running stabil in, but will keep the carbs happier than letting them go dry for months. Don't skip checking valve clearances- after 5000 km, you might have no clearance.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks everyone this is all great information.

Comment

Working...
                X