1980 gs850L Stator and RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850L Stator and RR

Finally replaced the stator and R/R tonight. The bike has been charging fine, but I'm going on a long ride in the Spring and I wanted to play it safe. Stator installation was pretty straight forward.

When installing the R/R, the three yellow wires plug into the yellow stator wires, the red into the red and then I have a red and white that is left over. Also the green coming from the R/R is a ground, I assume. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the old R/R so I left it beneath the battery box and mounted the new R/R to the side by the fuse box.

Just checking to see if that is a reasonable way to go about things.

Thanks,

Scudder

Hi,

Do you know the model number of your r/r unit? You want to verify the pin outs (what color goes where). My r/r unit is a 7 wire unit and has two outputs (red) and two grounds (green). Other models have 5, 6, even 8 wires. A lot have a "sense" wire, some don't.

Do you know what bike your r/r unit came from? A color wiring diagram from that bike will help you identify the proper connections. I don't know what your white wire is for. I seem to recall that some models also used a white wire for ground.

For mine, I hooked one red wire to the harness and the other directly to the battery through an inline fuse. I took one ground directly to the battery negative and the other to a common frame ground.

If your r/r unit also has double outputs and grounds, you don't have to use both of them. But be sure they are taped, secured, etc, so that they don't come in contact with anything.

Why didn't you get the old r/r out of the way?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

R/R & Stator

This is the site. It's an RM stator. It's a 5 wire R/R. I have a leftover red and white wire coming from the harness. There is no where to plug the red/white wire into the new R/R. My assumption is that the Red/white wire is no longer neeed with the improved R/R. However I've been wrong plenty. The green wire (the ground) can be grounded to the battery box or frame? Or.. is it better to connect it somewhere else.

Scudder

Comment

Why don't you ask RM what the red/white wire is for.
        While you wait, look at this attached pic and guess which R/R would get very warm?

P.S. I got two of those little guys in parts lots and both were non functioning.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
          http://www.rmstator.com/en/GS850GL/V...RM30302-1.aspx

This is the site. It's an RM stator. It's a 5 wire R/R. I have a leftover red and white wire coming from the harness. There is no where to plug the red/white wire into the new R/R. My assumption is that the Red/white wire is no longer neeed with the improved R/R. However I've been wrong plenty. The green wire (the ground) can be grounded to the battery box or frame? Or.. is it better to connect it somewhere else.

Scudder
          Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you had extra wires coming out of your r/r unit.

From what you describe you have disconnected the loop of wire that goes up to a non-existent headlight switch. I talk about it in my r/r replacement guide. It's OK to leave these disconnected and taped off out of the way.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"It's OK to leave these disconnected and taped off out of the way."
            As BC says, that's what I did with mine.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Thanks. That is what I expected, and I believe what I've read about already. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the response. The 850 is ready to roll now.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
              X