bike wont start just click an then dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big T View Post
    Just a guess here, but I'll bet your system is overcharging and your battery has boiled down to where the (now warped) plates are exposed

Pull the battery out and check the fluid levels
    ok still no go got batt tested at battery place to day, i know the guys personaly, they said all good for 3 yr old batt, its a agm gel batt, its big one had to enlarge battery holder to fit it. im still not conviced its good, so put car batt on it an test tommorow, im not sure if click is coming from starter solenoid, around the batt area, unless its short/ arc sound ill try it in the dark tomorrow. ok onto test the stator and r/r units ?, looks like my Rectifier does not have an earth from it,the wires go up into the loom, well take look at it again later,ok thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
      battery terminal/s are dirty or corroded and /or battery weak/bad
      I second this. From what I'm reading this still has not been checked (I may have missed it). Your battery seems to be good.
      Check you connection at the battery, that means the terminal, cable and connection of the terminal tot he cable (Look for fraying of the cable).

This will take you 2 seconds and a $1 wire brush with some type of cleaner.

Comment

now that the bat has been disconnected, taken to store and checked.. maybe it will be resolved since the connections on it have been taken off and refitted!!

Comment

will clean up the earth wire, still the same, put car batt on as well, same result. so batt is good.

Comment

Process of elimination:
            Battery tests good
            Solenoid replaced by new one, same results
            Solenoid jumped, same results
            Grounds cleaned up and rerouted, same results
            The only thing left in the circuit is the starter itself.

Comment

Have you looked at the starter motor? I had a similar issue a while ago, and when I pulled to starter motor, I opened it up. Not only was it full of debris, but many of the brushes were broken and disintegrated. A 'new' used starter motor went in and the bike started with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Process of elimination:
                Battery tests good
                Solenoid replaced by new one, same results
                Solenoid jumped, same results
                Grounds cleaned up and rerouted, same results
                The only thing left in the circuit is the starter itself.
                The ground was cleaned up, what about the positive battery cable?
                Still no clear answer on whether that was cleaned up or not.

Comment

The battery was removed and reinstalled. The solenoid was replaced by an aftermarket unit, then the original one reinstalled. One can safely assume the connections are clean enough.
                  The only logical part remaining in the system is the starter.

Comment

ok back, been working lot of hours atm, tonight cleaned earth removed old earth wire, and found other wire coming from harness was corroded up the wire, black and white and it goes to the negative post on batt. any way cleaned earth and used a small car battery earth cable from negative batt terminal to back of motor clean all contacts and earth points, any thing that screws onto metal i cleaned, put it all back and only had high beam , no lol beam on head light, still would not start so bridged the solenoid terminals and it wound over, then it stopped and burnt out main fuse, replaced it turned blinker on and left it on it just goes on with out enough power to keep blinking, then it burnt out the blinker fuse, and 3 more of the main fuse's i tryed. so no click or starting at all now, just burns out the fuse, wires all going to same place's they were before.

Comment

You now keep blowing main fuses (15 amp ?) and sometimes the turn signal fuse- how about the ignition fuse (10 amp ?), has it survived this ordeal? I think the solenoid works off the ignition fuse, so it should blow if the problem lies with solenoid hook up.
                      Is the starter on this model removable without disturbing carbs?
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What happens if you wire the battery directly to the starter and bypass the bikes electrical system?

As in: use a set of jumpers to the engine for ground and then to the starter with a battery that you know is good.

That will tell you if you have a starter problem or not.
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                        X