1979 gs1000l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs1000l

I went out for a ride today as the weather in Denver was a balmy 47ºF. All was good for about an hour and then power diminished, I determined that 2-3 were getting NO fire. Made it home and got the trouble shooting tools out. I pulled the ignition cover off, tested coil power and yes. Then tested the ignitor side for 1-4, 2-3 and yes, puzzled I put the tank back on and viola all seemed well.... Went for a spin around the block and all was still good. I have a Dyna DS3-2 with the stock coils. Intermitent issue it seems. Will coils getting to end of life fail after heated or could this be an Dyna issue, at this point discounting wiring because all has been replaced with the ignition about 1 year ago. Any ideas?

Thanks

Whenever there is an intermittent coil failure, I usually find it's not the coil but the pulse generator, your ignition pickup, they can show those symptoms when they heat up if going bad, like after riding awhile, to test this, swap the coil wire positions, re-route the plug wires from 1&4 to 2&3 and vise versa, and swap the trigger wires, see if the same 2 cylinders fail or if it follows the coil.
    First off, double check all connections from the pulse to the igniter(which also can be going bad) and back to the coils.

Comment

old_skool,

My many thanks for this, what blindingly simple way to sort this out. I was quite frustrated and lost my head...

Comment

Hi,

Perform a good visual inspection of the wiring under the fuel tank. I lost 1 & 4 one day and it turned out to be this: Simple Coil Repair.

Ensure that the spark plug caps are in good shape and well connected. See Spark Plug Cap Replacement. If the plugs caps themselves test OK (measure the right resistance - about 5 K ohm, I think) then just cut 1/4" from the wire and screw them back on to get good connections.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BassCliff,

I went to your site the day this happened and the coil repair link was dead so I thought that maybe it was taken down?? I would like to see this information.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
            BassCliff,

I went to your site the day this happened and the coil repair link was dead so I thought that maybe it was taken down?? I would like to see this information.

Thanks
            Oh drat! Another document that I'll have to find and replace. Anyway, my little problem was just a broken 12v wire to the coil which I fixed by scraping away the sealant. re-soldering, and covering again with epoxy clay. Here are some pictures...

Some models have connectors that are easier to disconnect/reconnect. But my 850G has soldered connections for the 12v wire.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X