Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actual charging system output in watts/amps???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    It really adds up- I'm using what data I could find from other similar setups and some basic math, i.e. injectors rated at 11-16 ohms at an avg. 13.5 ohms at 14V will be 1.04 amp each. Here is what I have as a worst-case scenario:
    Headlight (high beam) 4.29A (new LED units save an amp here but are $210)
    Heated gloves 1.57A (winter only)
    Coils/ignition 5.00A (A site I found reported 2.4A each, perhaps a lot more, 14.0V / 3 ohms= 4.6 amps each)
    LED bulbs .34A
    Phone charger .10A
    Add-on gauges .26A
    Microsquirt 1A
    Fuel pump 3A (this is the main problem area I can do something about, modulation will help reduce this)
    Heated O2 sensor 1A (while running, more to heat up)
    Microcontroller.10A
    Injectors 4.16A

This totals 20.82A or about 292W @ 14V.
    I agree with with everyone.

I don't think the injectors will take that much amperage as I don't believe you will be running them at 100% duty cycle all the time if ever.
    I don't think the coils will take that much while running either.

Intermittent load is fine as the battery will take the brunt.

The constant things I see are

Headlight
    tail light ( if LED then its negligible)
    Gauges
    Microsquirt
    Ignition coils but I be allot less than 5.0 amps.
    Fuel pump.

I was thinking of what you could use for a PWM circuit for the fuel pump.
    What about a hand drill circuit but with a pressure sensor used as the trigger.
    The pump could run at 100% for a second until pressure caused the resistance in the switch to increase enough to reduce the output of the circuit until it reached a balance that would adjust to demand.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

This is what I measured using a current amp on a stator wire and scaling to total output for all three legs. Don't infer that because the stator current rises to over 20 amps when shorted that it will do that when applying the voltage to the load.

I figure max out is about 15 amps at 14.5 which yields 217.5 watts.

The 15 amps flows to the electrical system plus goes into charging the battery. Figuring C/10=14 Ah/10==> 1.4 amps charging current for a good battery.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
        Thanks for the info.

It really adds up- I'm using what data I could find from other similar setups and some basic math, i.e. injectors rated at 11-16 ohms at an avg. 13.5 ohms at 14V will be 1.04 amp each. Here is what I have as a worst-case scenario:
        Headlight (high beam) 4.29A (new LED units save an amp here but are $210)
        Heated gloves 1.57A (winter only)
        Coils/ignition 5.00A (A site I found reported 2.4A each, perhaps a lot more, 14.0V / 3 ohms= 4.6 amps each)
        LED bulbs .34A
        Phone charger .10A
        Add-on gauges .26A
        Microsquirt 1A
        Fuel pump 3A (this is the main problem area I can do something about, modulation will help reduce this)
        Heated O2 sensor 1A (while running, more to heat up)
        Microcontroller .10A
        Injectors 4.16A

This totals 20.82A or about 292W @ 14V.
        You need to add in a charging current for the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          You need to add in a charging current for the battery.
          That will just take left-overs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            That will just take left-overs.

If you looks at the chart at the bottom of this post, if you are at 80% to 90% State of Charge running at 14.25 volts then you need C/5 and C/10 respectively. That would correspond to 2.9 amps and 1.45 amps respectively.

Even a fully charged battery needs C/20 current to get the voltage to 14.25V

Comment

This is what I measured using a current amp on a stator wire and scaling to total output for all three legs. Don't infer that because the stator current rises to over 20 amps when shorted that it will do that when applying the voltage to the load.

The 15 amps flows to the electrical system plus goes into charging the battery. Figuring C/10=14 Ah/10==> 1.4 amps charging current for a good battery.
              Pos, to this uneducated mind does the chart on the right mean the Compufire RR keeps more power going to the bike's accessories?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Pos, to this uneducated mind does the chart on the right mean the Compufire RR keeps more power going to the bike's accessories?
                No not really, I am looking at the maximum current that the Compufire will flow . Since it is Series that is all going to the electrical system so that is about the best estimate of total current coming from the R/R. Multiply that by the voltage delivered and you have total power delivered.

I also have direct measurements of the R/R output but this graph was more convenient.

We can gather from the Compufire design (not these charts), that there is more power delivered because it is more efficient (i.e. has lower voltage drops). That probably means in a side by side comparison it will push a little more current. I don't have those measurements to confirm that. I would not expect it to be a lot more.

Comment

Your 217.5 watts seems about what the article also claimed for the 1981 GS1100E.

Comment

Working...
                  X