are pick up coils interchangable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are pick up coils interchangable

i recently bought a 1982 gs 650g in non running condition. the bike is pretty rough, but i wanted a project. Anyways after getting a new battery, doing a quick carb service and hot wiring the ignition switch(previous owner forgot to mention that he removed for another one of his projects) i get no spark. i get power to the coils. i threw together a quick wiring harness to eliminate all the possible faulty relays and bad connections, so now its just pick coils, igniter box stator and regulator. no head light or tail light is wired yet. the problem persists. i checked the leads of the p/u coils with my multimeter and got anywhere from 30 -190 ohms which I'm guessing means a faulty pick up coil assembly. i want to eventually install a Dyna s system but since i haven't heard the motor run i don't want to dump 150 bucks on a motor that is junk. i found on ebay p/u coils for my bike at around 50bucks, but noticed some from a gs 550 for like 10 bucks. as long as the mounting plate lines up could i use another assembly?
    any help would be great, thanks
    Brian

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear about your dilemma. In a short answer, sorry but not all p/u coils are interchangeable. Some pick ups run 2 wires and some 3 to the ignitor. I would think that if the one for the 550 looks the same as yours it should work but its not a guarantee. I think it would be best to stick with the exact model but you can perhaps check the parts microfiches to see if they (550 and 650) are the same part. Bike Bandit should have the fiches or perhaps even your local Suzuki store on it's website.

When working with these be careful as the magnets used are very brittle and its easy to destroy them. The screws used on the plate are also loctited in place so difficult to budge if you were thinking of moving the p/us from one plate to the other (i.e. if mounting holes don't line up)

Good luck with your investigation and please let us know what you find out.

spyug

Comment

Originally posted by byegge View Post
      ... i checked the leads of the p/u coils with my multimeter and got anywhere from 30 -190 ohms which I'm guessing means a faulty pick up coil assembly. ...
      Why guess?

If you don't have a manual for your bike, visit BassCliff's little site and grab a copy of the factory manual for your bike.

When you have it downloaded, open it to page 7-6 (which is page 169 of the pdf file), it shows you how to test the signal generator.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the link to the manual. found that my ohms range should be 250-360 so going to order the used set of ebay. going to just pop the 50 for the part made for my bike, but not before i test the signal generator. would hate to instal the "new" part to find that there was another problem i overlooked. will go ahead and test my coils too, but pretty rare for both to be junk.
        thanks again

Comment

update

so i installed the new pick up coils and of course nothing. i never checked the ignitor or coils until tonight(my impatientce is only matched by my laziness). turns out the ignightor is bad when doing the ohm meter test, also my coils read 4 ohms and 18k, which i have read is a little low on the high side. i ran a jumper wire to the coil to the battery and do get a faint spark, which also tells me that the ignitor is bad. while my wife was in the shower i bought a dyna s ignition, she wont be happy ive spent more on this boat anchor. i guess my question is should i buy replacement coils too. or should i just replace the wires. also i now have a perfectly good set of pick up coils if anyone needs them. this bike is really nickle and diming me, ive spent more in the last week than i paid for the bike. thanks for looking
          Brian

Ps. ignore my horrible spelling, like i said im lazy

Comment

Working...
          X