Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Question

Hello, Im new to the forums. I bought a 1980 GS450E a month ago and had to rewire the electronics myself using stock wiring harness. There was no battery but I bought one for it. The starter solenoid just clicks when I press the starter button. I ran a test light to the starter side of the solenoid and there is no current going through. Do you guys think I have a faulty solenoid or starter motor?

First of all,

Would you believe that you have already answered your own question?

Yep, you said that you tested the solenoid and nothing was coming through. To me, that would say that you have a bad solenoid.

No need to spend a lot of money on a new Suzuki solenoid, if you wish to replace it.
    Go to your favorite store that sells lawn care equipment, get a solenoid for a lawn tractor.
    Same size, same ratings, but about $15, instead of about $70.

Last edited by Steve; 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well thanks Steve, I was just confused with what I been coming up with researching. I really hope it is the solenoid and not the starter motor itself. Will report back after installing a new solenoid.

Comment

hi and welcome. if you have voltage to the solenoid but none coming out then it is most likely the solenoid. make sure you have a good 12volts at the solenoid.
        if you short the terminals on the solenoid (make sure the bike is in neutral!) the starter should spin up.if it does, the solenoid is faulty.
        also make sure the engine, battery and solenoid ground wires are clean and good connections
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for ur answer agemax. The wiring to the battery, starter, and ground wires are all new. So I guess it is the solenoid. 12v from battery to solenoid but nothing from solenoid to starter. Will report back after getting new solenoid. I appreciate how fast you guys are at responding.

Comment

Originally posted by jermgs450 View Post
            I appreciate how fast you guys are at responding.
            Actually we should be sorry it took so long to answer your questions.

My first reply to you took 19 minutes.

Yes, we move a LOT faster than some of the other forums that I am on. On those, I feel lucky to have any kind of an answer (let alone more than one) within a week. Here, it is not uncommon to have a dozen replies in the first hour on a good day.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X