Speedo Calibration 85 vs 140 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Calibration 85 vs 140 mph

I am wanting to put a new set of gauges on my 82 gs1100ez and my current speedo reads 85 mph max and the set that I am looking at are the 140 mph units.I was wondering if any one would know if I would need a different speedo drive unit down at the front wheel to be accurate and read a true 140mph or what? If so what year and model would I look them up for also? I would appreciate any and all info before I throw down the bucks and get something that I could not use. Thanks
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Pretty sure the front wheel speedo drive units (for the same size wheels, e.g, 19") are all the same, but the speedo's are known to be inaccurate...

I use a GPS to compare speeds against, then just remember the difference - the speedos usually run a bit faster than reality.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yea still got the 19" wheel and I couldn't find any other optional part numbers for any of the drive units. And as far as accurate I know it's a joke ain't it lol. I'm satisfied with in the general ball park for now. Thanks again
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Yup, hikermikem pretty much sums it up.
        Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
        1979 GS850GN
        sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
        1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
          And as far as accurate I know it's a joke ain't it lol. I'm satisfied with in the general ball park for now. Thanks again
          It's funny, some speedos read quite true, while others, as you have stated, are pretty "optimistic."

Lubing the cable can help a lot...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

"Optimistic" I'll remember that as the speeding ticket is being written.

Comment

I put a set of '83 GS1100ED gauges on my '82 GS1100EZ, they seem to work well, didn't change out anything else. How accurate? at least as accurate as the '82 85mph gauges.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi Guys an Gals, many times iv tested speedos on Fords Toyota Mitsubishi Vauxhall "GM" against the sat nav and always the speedos read higher, no doubt the sat nav was correct, strange to say my GS 1100L was closer than any of the above but still optimistic !!! your guages sure look good, but i cant figure why you have guages to read 140 if the speed limit is 55 ? in the U.S. LOL, just a Suzuki thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I put a set of '83 GS1100ED gauges on my '82 GS1100EZ, they seem to work well, didn't change out anything else. How accurate? at least as accurate as the '82 85mph gauges.
                  Just so you know that is an 82 tach with a 83 speedo. Since I imagine the sweep is the same I'd say there is a little less resolution due to the increased scale

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                    your guages sure look good, but i cant figure why you have guages to read 140 if the speed limit is 55 ? in the U.S. LOL, just a Suzuki thing.
                    Those 140mph gauges are for more than just looks.
                    I can't drive 55!

This guy can't drive 55 either!
                    A few minutes from the life of motorcyclist in Moscow.
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Just so you know that is an 82 tach with a 83 speedo. Since I imagine the sweep is the same I'd say there is a little less resolution due to the increased scale
                      Just so you know, you're absolutely 100% wrong
                      Not quite sure why you think that, but the '82 tach had a 9K redline, the '83 had the 9.5K redline.
                      Here's a pic of my '82 gauges with the 9K redline tach and the 85mph speedo. I rest my case.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        Just so you know, you're absolutely 100% wrong
                        Not quite sure why you think that, but the '82 tach had a 9K redline, the '83 had the 9.5K redline.
                        Here's a pic of my '82 gauges with the 9K redline tach and the 85mph speedo. I rest my case.
                        What do you think I have in the attached photo? None of the 3 look like yours (other than the 9.5K redline). The last set came on my ED.

Comment

Guys an Gals, thats what i thought, we have a speed limit here of 70, i cant drive it eithor !

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                            Hi Guys an Gals, many times iv tested speedos on Fords Toyota Mitsubishi Vauxhall "GM" against the sat nav and always the speedos read higher, no doubt the sat nav was correct, strange to say my GS 1100L was closer than any of the above but still optimistic !!! your guages sure look good, but i cant figure why you have guages to read 140 if the speed limit is 55 ? in the U.S. LOL, just a Suzuki thing.
                            Update: The further West you go the higher the speed limits. Texas has a couple highways with 85 mph limits, NM has 75 mph limits here and there. zoom zoom zoom....though 75 = 90 no?
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Would love to find a '83+ speedo unit for my '82, but the prices are through the roof.

Fortunately, my Hayabusa has a speedo with much higher top speed, as it will easily exceed the limit on my 1100E speedo, and do it in first gear. Yeehaw!

Comment

Working...
                              X